Second LED strip no power

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcnfch

Reaction score
I'm wiring LED strips above and below a kitchen cabinet. I can successfully power the first strip above the cabinet 
bHaM68V.jpg.2f20b19756416fb1f21927497f232c8a.jpg
. However cannot power the second strip 
Tk4ghJQ.jpg.adf10c10b01d727c636240038cdb36f0.jpg
. I've checked the correct colours to the rgbw+ connectors etc and they are aligned correctly.

I can only assume the connections aren't good inside the adapter clips, however i've redone them a number of times as best I can and still no difference. 

Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers.

Sorry I should have included that they are 12v LEDs rated at 12w per meter powered by a 25w driver.

5 core for WRGB+. And nothing at the other end, just cut at the cutting line. It should be a closed circuit if cut at that point or am I missing something? Cheers.

In the first picture is above the cabinet, the 5core goes from the end of the working strip to the start of the non working strip under the cabinet in the second picture.

so as I understand it you have 

Transformer

5 core cable

LED strip

5 core cable

LED strip

my best guess would be that one end of the 5 core isn't wired correctly ....... tricky to say much else, unless the overall length is too much for the transformer to handle - there is normally a maximum length for such set ups

Yes that's the setup, including an LED controller between the transformer and the first 5 core. 

I'll go back and have another go wiring the 5 core in the adapter clips again, it has to be something to do with them.

Thank you Murdoch.

Yes that's the setup, including an LED controller between the transformer and the first 5 core. 

I'll go back and have another go wiring the 5 core in the adapter clips again, it has to be something to do with them.

Thank you Murdoch.

Have you checked the maximum length of cable?

looks like you've got the second strip the wrong way around ,think about where you cut it , and then think about the joining cable, also a 25w driver will only power 2m of your lights (12w per meter)

It's just got to be a misconnection of one end or other of the inter-strip link cable.

I assume :

You have two one metre lengths, (You only say its 12w/metre but then you've chosen a 25watt supply).  (?)

-  and  Strip 1 remains alight when strip 2 is connected, even though strip 2 doesn't light  (?)

Multi colour strips are effectively three or four circuits, one per colour with a common supply. So, if none of the colours are lighting it's probably the common at fault.

have you got the LEd strip the right way round in the connector? if you go fro the other end, the terminals are the other way so you may have crossed polarity

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how to check maximum cable length, it doesn't specify on the specs of the driver or the led strip itself. Although the two strips are only 70cm long each with a 1 meter 5core cable between the two so the driver should be sufficient?

Tried switching the LED around Andy, no joy.

On having another look I think it may be the adapter clips themselves. The connectors don't align with the WRGB+ points, hopefully you can see what I mean in the photo below. I'm going to borrow a solder kit and test soldering the 5core directly onto a scrap piece of led I have to see if that was the issue. Cheers for all the replies 👍

https://imgur.com/gallery/hxvHCfl

Hopefully that's all it was. The clips were doing my head in anyway, they wouldnt clip tightly around the 5core and kept breaking, cheap cr#p off Amazon which I only got because of good delivery dates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that's clearly your problem. The mystery is that the first length worked.

Length of interconnecting cable is irrelevant within reasonable limits. I've used telephone cable about six metres across my kitchen with no problem. 

Provided you can use a soldering iron, just solder the ends and preferably  finish off with a bit of heat shrink to protect and reinforce the joint.

Length of interconnecting cable is irrelevant within reasonable limits. I've used telephone cable about six metres across my kitchen with no problem. 

I've definitely installed these systems where the instructions for the LED driver states a maximum length on the load side ......

Thought I'd provide a quick update. 

After much frustration I finally managed to solder the strips together and they are working well. Not an easy task for an amateur solderer having to solder at 5 points across 10mm without bridging!

For the benefit of others that may come across this I have marked Andy's reply as the answer as I wasn't aware when I first started this that there are different widths of LED strips. Plus having finally done so, soldering is much more effective than those plastic solderless clips.

Cheers for the help all.