Storage heater no power reaching switch socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choperooni

Reaction score
Hello all. In my spare bedroom I have a storage heater that doesn't work. Hardly surprising because I checked at the socket during the Econ 7 period and there's no power reaching that circuit, well about 1.5v. There's nothing obvious happening at the night consumer unit and all the other SH sockets/night immersion are giving me 240v so I guess I'll get an electrician in. But any ideas what are the likely causes?   Many thanks. 

Thanks for the comments.  I think I've found the answer - I don't think it's connected to the consumer unit. The reason I think this is because the night consumer unit has 9 circuits but I have 9 storage heater points plus the night immersion.  I've used a meter on each SH point and the night immersion and traced them all back to consumer unit (apart from the one that has no power). So if it's not connected I don't what the point of installing it was.

well if its not connected that would explain it not working... i wouldnt be surprised if 2 heaters are on the same circuit though, often done ont he smaller ones

well if its not connected that would explain it not working... i wouldnt be surprised if 2 heaters are on the same circuit though, often done ont he smaller ones

^ wot he said but I would recommend you look at the local isolation switch as these have a nasty habit of burning out.

Regarding 2 on a circuit, look at the closest storage heaters and see if there are 2 cables on the supply side to the isolation switch