3 red, 3 black, 1 earth - advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbh1488

Reaction score
Hi,

Any help would be appreciated with this.

I am wanting to fit a new ceiling fan light. The wiring is 3 blacks, 3 reds and 1 earth. The live switch black wire obviously hasn't been marked with a red sleeve. 

What route do i take with this? The ceiling fan light fitting has 3 terminals, a live, a neutral and one for the earth i assume. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

It has a green/yellow sleeve on it. 

I think the home is at least 1960/70s

Houses of that age were often built without an earth on the lighting circuit - even though you appear to have an earth connection there is no guarantee that its connected back to the fuseboard.

As your new light / fan requires an earth I can only suggest you get this checked by a local electrician

Hope this helps

When you say its a fan / light  ...is it one of those chinese looking  things with three large paddles  thrashing round and a light in the centre.  ? 

These often have a pull switch hanging off them to work the fan ,  but the light is switched from the wall in usual way .  

This means there should be  four terminals so ......  permanent Lives  ( Your 3 reds)  / Switch wire  ( Your black marked red )  / Neutral  ( your 2 blacks)  /  Earth .