Off-grid cabins - solid fuel cooker/boiler -Senko C25

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel54321

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of installing or living with a Senko solid fuel cooker. I'm building some off grid holiday cabins in North Yorkshire and I'm planning to install the Senko C25 in each one. For cooking, hot water and heating.

Are they any good? How long does it take to heat a water tank? How much fuel do they get through?

The cabins are small. 28m2. Is this 25kw unit going to be massive overkill for 2 small radiators?  I know it is but I can find anything that does the same job for smaller/cheaper. Is it a problem?

I believe they have a summer mode that just heats the hot water not the rads - but I guess the unit itself kick out a far bit of heat, is this right?

Power for the cabin is going to be a combination of solar and a modest Hydro input. So we won't have the option of an immersion heater back up. We could possibly install a small LPG water heater back up. I am trying to avoid LPG if possible as I'm trying to make the business as sustainable as possible, but I will have to be open to some compromise at this stage.

I would be so delighted to hear of someones experience with this system as I will be investing a fair bit of my budget and chancing my customer experience on them.

Thanks

Would an LPG cooker, gas fire and water heater not be easier?

I am not sure I would trust guests many of who will never have used solid fuel appliances to operate then properly.

Or at least LPG cooker and water heater, and a small wood burning stove for heating. You can get WBS's with an output as low as 3kW

Last edited by a moderator: