240V to 12V transformer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigah

Reaction score
I am attempting to rewire an American 12V lamp.  The lamp is presently on a plug in transformer (110V>12V), and I would need a UK substitute.  Here's the hitch:  the lamp is wired into the transformer, through two screw ports.  I have not been able to find anything like that anywhere (yet).  What I have found are all built in transformer where I would have to plug the output 12V into the lamp, but there is nowhere to plug it in.  

If there is a transformer out there which a relatively inadept newbee could open up to rewire, that would also work.

Thanks in advance!!

You can buy an adaptor which the plug from a transformer with the popular dc barrel connector will fit and which has two screw terminals. They are commonly used on CCTV and similar security devices. Again CPC is an excellent source.

If your lamp is an led type be aware that polarity matters. You won't damage it if you connect it the wrong way; it just won't work.

Have a look at CPC catalogue numbers SR08101 and PW02598.  (There are many more power supply options, depending what power you need. but these show the adaptor)