Light fitting - Earth wire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saraathi

Reaction score
Hi there, 

I am replacing light fitting in my kitchen. The fitting comes with a earth wire but when I removed my existing light fitting, there was no earth wire from the home line. All it had was brown and blue one. The house was built in 1996. Is it ok to fit the lighting 

OP please make sure the circuit is switched off.

As above I suspect the earth (CPC) has been pushed into the ceiling and you may find some more cables up there too!

OP please make sure the circuit is switched off.

As above I suspect the earth (CPC) has been pushed into the ceiling and you may find some more cables up there too!

1996 and brown and blue is also making me think there is a junction box above with just a 2 core flex coming down. possibly even a lowered ceiling with existing pendant base up there and just a flex into the light

Thanks guys for the quick reply. Yes I was able to see the earth tucked inside and was able to pull it out. 👍

Got another question, the ceiling light has 8 lights and has what they call as combination connector. The brown and blue wires for the 8 come in connector. The brown and blue wires from homeline need to go in to one of them too. 

I am trying to get a pic added here for clarity but don't know how .. 😔