Simple job or for an electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcwill

Reaction score
I have taken down an old fan/light fitting, planning to replace it iwth a spot fitting (picture links below) but was surprised by the wiring in the ceiling rose. It has two earths, based on the spots wiring I was only expecting one. The cord grips also block the bracket from being screwed down so should I change the plate  or just use longer screws. If it's simple enough I'd rather D.I.M.

Thanks

https://ibb.co/yS1bbxn

https://ibb.co/K58jFC2

What cord grip? What plate? What 2 earths?

All I can say is some light fittings like that, there is not a lot of room to terminate cables.

Well looking at the second pic I reckon there is at least three earths and by disconnecting them and taping the ends you may well have disconnected the earth to part of the circuit further on

turn the power off and reconnect them

when you fit the new fitting ALL the earths need connecting together and to the new fitting

NOTE this is all supposition based on info supplied and could well be wrong

Well looking at the second pic I reckon there is at least three earths and by disconnecting them and taping the ends you may well have disconnected the earth to part of the circuit further on

turn the power off and reconnect them

when you fit the new fitting ALL the earths need connecting together and to the new fitting

NOTE this is all supposition based on info supplied and could well be wrong
There was a third earth but it was attached to the old bracket and into the screw terminal on the ceiling. I hadn't thought that I could be interupting the circuit. Is that dangerous?? as I could've swore one was already disconnected (maybe came loose) when I removed the old fitting, so presume it's been that way for a while. Thanks for your advice

It is a simply job for an electrician but a not so simple job for someone with no training.

I really suggest you get an electrician to do this, find one who can do it while passing nearby and it should not cost much.

That whole ceiling rose has to come off and all the wires need re connecting as they were. Don't even begin to try it yourself unless you have uniquely identified EVERY wire and know where they all go. Not all reds and blacks are the same.

Even for someone competent this is a fiddly job to terminate all the cables correctly and safely in such a limited space.

A better way yould be to cut a round ceiling box into the ceiling to give room for the terminations, but that assumes you can do that without clashing with a joist.

Second pic

this is a loop in system

centre three terminals show three cables.....these are LIVE when switch is off and will kill you with little warning but possibly a lot of screaming

Assuming  it is wired in twin and earth cable there will be

3 reds

3 blacks

3 earths

i can see two,earths twisted together in the right hand sleeving and one in the left

if you are unsure what you are doing then DON'T.  It is not a difficult job BUT if you get the connections wrong you can get

fuse blowing

all lights not working

some lights not,working

switch for that light turning other areas on and off

bang when switched on

or WORSE

we can talk you through it BUT it would be a better idea to get a Spark in

just saying