Installation of switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sambar

Reaction score
Hi

I work for a company abroad that builds and sells smart switches. I trained abroad as an electrician but did the bs7671:june 2008(2011) (green book)

My company want to sell in the UK and I was wondering about the requirements of who can install switches. There is no extra wiring required. It is a straight swap. No need for an neural at the switch. I remember when I learned the regs that work can be done by a competent person. What is the scope of 'competent person'

They are CE certified. We currently sell them in france, Germany, South Africa, Australia, and America. They work on 110-240v.

They work on 110-240v.

Given that the nominal voltage of the UK is 230V with a range of -6% / +10% how well would your switches cope with 253 volts over a long period as some areas regularly hit these voltage levels

@sambar please don't take this the wrong way, but please don't think you can promote your product on here without paying for advertising ...........

Not trying to promote a product. I'm deliberately avoiding mentioning what the product name is. As to handling 253v, it will handle them no problem. I am more interested in who can install the switch, if the only wiring is at the switch itself. 

Not giving a direct answer here, but there is nothing to stop anybody walking into a local DIY store buying a light switch, taking it home and fitting it.

Not giving a direct answer here, but there is nothing to stop anybody walking into a local DIY store buying a light switch, taking it home and fitting it.
just put 'has to be installed by a competent electrican' in the instructions and that covers your rear end.

Hi

I work for a company abroad that builds and sells smart switches. I trained abroad as an electrician but did the bs7671:june 2008(2011) (green book)

If you get hold of a current copy of BS7671:2018..

And have a read of the opening few pages, specifically the "Relationship With Statutory Regulations" bit..

You will find that regulation 114.1 is still almost word for work the same as regulation 114.1 in BS7671:2008..

The first fives words which are "The regulations are non-statutory"...  

Plus the fact that DIY electrical work is still permitted within the UK....

probably answers your question.

:coffee