EV charger testers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m guessing that nobody on here has bought one yet, but without wishing to ask the obvious what do they do? And how?

We don’t test big cookers, kilns etc other than a functional test so why is there these expensive testers appearing ?

tin hat on

The test unit simulates the connection of a vehicle and allows the contactor within the socket to energise you can then test the internal RCD and the sensitivity of other parts of the EV socket and it's installation

The test unit simulates the connection of a vehicle and allows the contactor within the socket to energise you can then test the internal RCD and the sensitivity of other parts of the EV socket and it's installation

Interesting - are you suggesting all EV chargers have RCD's built in them?

as far as i know, yes. type B

Not sure I agree with that.

I was recently asked by a customer / chargemaster to install a additional DB for a EV circuit and charge master specifically wanted a RCBO in the DB

Also just looked at a Tesla install - no RCD in the system, but the system had the ability to reset on certain parameters, and the circuit for this was also protected by a RCBO

I've today viewed a EV tutorial on youtube showing the Metrel tester A1532 unit and that "talks" as if the RCD is in the fuseboard, rather than in the EV charge unit.

I do know that you can buy "EV" standard UK sockets for use on EV circuit that have a RCD in the housing (link below)

https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk/products/Trailing+Sockets+&+Leads/Electric+Vehicle+Charging/Weatherproof+Mode+2+Electric+Vehicle+13A+Charging+Socket+with+RCBO+IP66/2774952238

Just trying to expand my knowledge!

Just trying to expand my knowledge!
Don't blame you.

I would think there is going to be an increasing demand for local sparks  who can sort out EV charging issues. I assume the charger manufacturers will offer field support but I also expect it will cost £££, only to potentially find that the car, or installation is at fault.

Don't blame you.

I would think there is going to be an increasing demand for local sparks  who can sort out EV charging issues. I assume the charger manufacturers will offer field support but I also expect it will cost £££, only to potentially find that the car, or installation is at fault.
I think it’s a can of worms ......

my strategy now is to pay more attention to installations when I see them and hope somebody on hear parts with some money and goes on a course , then shares their knowledge 

I've today viewed a EV tutorial on youtube showing the Metrel tester A1532 unit and that "talks" as if the RCD is in the fuseboard, rather than in the EV charge unit.
The Metrel guy demonstrated the A1532 connected to an MI3152 on their stand at one of the Elex shows using a Rolec socket that had a contactor and RCD in it. The preset testing function in the 3152 ran through all the tests needed

It was quite an interesting little 10 - 15 min presentation he gave on what you are testing and checking for and obviously trying to get a sale, I'm still trying to decide if the EV testing kit is worth the investment as I'm not sure if EV home charging is going to be obsoleted by the advancing battery technology and the fast charging options that need huge supplies that will not be available to domestic properties

The problem will be EICR's can you exclude the EV point if one is fitted if you haven't got the kit to test it's function

Thanks UNG

i have Metrel kit and their UK office is relatively close to me so I’m going to see if they will do me a demo

my tester needs calibration and I prefer not to send it away so I may get them to do it as they will lend out a tester for the time they have yours 

As for EICR’s , just exclude it from the report ....

The problem will be EICR's can you exclude the EV point if one is fitted if you haven't got the kit to test it's function

BS7671 doesnt cover the internals of EV chargers etc, just the supplies to them, so not needed on an EICR anyway

if anything, it would be covered by in service inspection & testing of electrical equipment. possibly PUWER etc if its commercial.

Theres nothing complicated inside them(This is the GARO EVSE Tester) it basically allows you to test the actual operation and safety features of the charger.

EaQZ_q3XsAIA5zr.jpg

If you are interested in the nitty gritty of whats going on between the charger and the car, have a spare three quarters of an hour, and can get past the jumpy editing then this is a good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT8IsAd9ea0

interesting, a bit more techs that I was expecting.

on the subject of connections to the mains, he made no mention that I noticed of the earthing ..... the IET seem to make a big deal of this😀

re the Chinese removing / covering the chip details - that’s a bit rich of them as they copy anything they want and seem to have no respect for interlectual property

BS7671 doesnt cover the internals of EV chargers etc, just the supplies to them, so not needed on an EICR anyway

if anything, it would be covered by in service inspection & testing of electrical equipment. possibly PUWER etc if its commercial.
Who mentioned EV chargers the conversation is about EV sockets and their internal parts, BS7671 does not make it that clear as to where to test to although the EV socket is part of the fixed installation

Given that most EV chargers are part of the onboard vehicle equipment I agree that the onboard charger should come under ISITEE as it is a plugged in connected load

I wouldn't want to be paying a lot of money for that!...looks like a high school "design and technology project" in its prototype phase

Perhaps we need to come up with a TEF design and put it on here that can knocked together with a few bits from RS and a couple of hours in the workshop (You might need to allow additional time for locating, and excavating the workbench in yours, Kerch....)

I wouldn't want to be paying a lot of money for that!...looks like a high school "design and technology project" in its prototype phase
I didnt pay for it so im happy enough but yeah when you open the box and look at it it does look like something thats been knocked up in a shed

Looking at the various EVSE check boxes most of them have an attached plug which means the sockets that have a tethered lead can't be tested using those check boxes unless there is some sort of coupling adaptor

Latest posts