Batroom thermostat for UFH and radiator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky1

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to ask bit of advice please.

I am fitting electrical UFH in my small bathroom and also have a dual fuel Reina radiator going in, this has its own thermostat already via the heating element (came as part of the offer), I was wondering if anyone could recommend a thermostat (preferably wi-fi) that would be able to control both the radiator and UFH and how to best wire this, I already have a main nest thermostat for the flat if that helps.

Many thanks in advance!

FWIW I don’t think you need a thermostat, the UFH normally has a sensor built into the floor or the wall controller.

You can get WI-FI timers

does the dual fuel radiator have a thermostat built in?

i don’t think you’ll be able to add this to your nest

Last edited by a moderator:
With UFH it is imo a pointless exercise having a controllable thermostat on it, as it takes so long to warm up that it is cheaper  and more convenient to leave on and forget about it :C  this way it’s only fluctuating by a degree or so, not by 10° or more to warm. 

FWIW I don’t think you need a thermostat, the UFH normally has a sensor built into the floor or the wall controller.

You can get WI-FI timers

does the dual fuel radiator have a thermostat built in?

i don’t think you’ll be able to add this to your nest
Hi, thanks for the reply.

The UFH is loose cable type, doesn't have a probe built in, I need to buy one or use one which comes with the thermostat, the electric heating element for the radiator does have an electric thermostat built in (Bluetooth).

I was just thinking it would be best for the radiator and UFH to work together and not in isolation but not sure if a single thermostat can handle both loads very well.

With UFH it is imo a pointless exercise having a controllable thermostat on it, as it takes so long to warm up that it is cheaper  and more convenient to leave on and forget about it :C  this way it’s only fluctuating by a degree or so, not by 10° or more to warm. 
Hi, ok I didn't realise they are slow to warm up, will have to have a rethink maybe then.

Thanks

Waste of time

1 stat control I g both

stat senses warm air, goes off, UFH goes off, cold floor

stat calls for heat, room warms up, UFH comes on, room gets warm before UFH gets warm, cold floor

but what do I know.....listening to the engineers in the wholesalers , very little
Thanks, so looks like having both independent is probably the best way, I will just get a thermostat to control the UFH via a floor probe and let the radiator handle itself with the built in thermostat.  

Thanks, so looks like having both independent is probably the best way, I will just get a thermostat to control the UFH via a floor probe and let the radiator handle itself with the built in thermostat.  

I wouldn't be leaving the radiator thermostat to do all the control - I would be adding a timer so its not on 24 x 7

How are you supplying these additions and do the circuit(s) have RCD protection?

I wouldn't be leaving the radiator thermostat to do all the control - I would be adding a timer so its not on 24 x 7

How are you supplying these additions and do the circuit(s) have RCD protection?
Well the thermostat has a timer built in I believe, not sure if an external timer is also advisable?

Both radiator and UFH will be spurred so will have RCD protection.