ECTA "Self funding" Trainee Smart Meter Installer course?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurly

Reaction score
I am interested in training as a "Smart Meter Installer" but am struggling to find any companies/recruitment agencies with vacancies. I presently work as a Meter Operative for a Data Collection company who used to offer training but recently opportunities to upskill have become "few and far between". Apart from 7 years working as a "Meter Op" I have no formal qualifications in Electricity or Gas. I have found this self funding option by a training company called ECTA Become a Smart Meter Installer with ECTA Training in Stockport - https://ectatraining.co.uk/become-smart-meter-installer/ This option will require a financial contribution from myself of £7440 and involves 13weeks of training - 7 weeks classroom study & 6 weeks training "on the job" near my home postcode. Is anyone familiar with this course and can anyone vouch for it?

Sounds like a scam? Didn’t think there was too much involved with swapping meters to be fair. I’ve known of plumbers changing to become meter fitters. :C  

So at the moment you fit ordinary meters, for which I assume your employer pays you.

If your employer wants yo to instead fit smart meters, then your employer should pay for the training and continue paying you.

If your employer won't train you, carry on fitting ordinary meters.

That would be my take.

Right question in the wrong place!

If you guys were familiar with the Smart meter world you would know that most companies that train Smart Meter fitters take a percentage of your wage once qualified to pay back the cost of training. They also initially pay a lower wage and  write into your contract that you must work for the company that trained you for 2-3 years so that they get value from their investment. Either way you're paying for the training.

ECTA seem to be taking a different approach.

My main concern is shelling out a load of cash and then struggling academically. Remember, I have no electrical or Gas background and this will involve 13weeks of fairly intense study compared to the usual 20week college course leading to a "Level 2 Diploma in Smart Metering(Dual Fuel)"

That said, according to ECTA that has only happened once, funnily enough to an "electrical engineer" who struggled to get to grips with some of the "gas metering".

Correct Andy/Kerching, I am a Meter reader. Meter operative is what's written on my contract. Thought you lot would be a bit better bred!;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so you want to shell out over £7k for training on a smart meter installation course, how long will that take you to pay back and actually earn a living from the job? You’ve already suggested that the companies that employ you and train you want you to stay 2-3 years to gain from their investment and I can assure you it doesn’t cost them the same as ECTA will charge you. So have you a spare 5-8years? 

I am interested in training as a "Smart Meter Installer" but am struggling to find any companies/recruitment agencies with vacancies. I presently work as a Meter Operative for a Data Collection company who used to offer training but recently opportunities to upskill have become "few and far between". Apart from 7 years working as a "Meter Op" I have no formal qualifications in Electricity or Gas. I have found this self funding option by a training company called ECTA Become a Smart Meter Installer with ECTA Training in Stockport - https://ectatraining.co.uk/become-smart-meter-installer/ This option will require a financial contribution from myself of £7440 and involves 13weeks of training - 7 weeks classroom study & 6 weeks training "on the job" near my home postcode. Is anyone familiar with this course and can anyone vouch for it?

I think the answer is in your question.....

But.. IF...  and its a BIG IF.. companies were crying out for the sort of candidates that would be the result from this £7000+ course...

then I think you would be seeing adverts for vacancies here there & everywhere..

If I were investing that sort of money in a limited scope training course, I guess I'd have to be pretty desperate to think it worth while....

Or have bucket loads of cash floating around that I can afford to loose on a whim...

I think you need to look at this like putting £7000 on the lottery...

You may get  decent return..   OR you may loose the lot!!

(or its like training to do car mechanics just on a single manufacture,  rather than generic all makes,  so the skills you learn are not very transferable!) 

I am NOT 100% convinced that a single person changing BOTH Gas & Electric, is a thing that actually happens much...

We first had smart meter fitted in 2008..

Then replaced in 2019...

Both cases it was separate staff doing Gas & Electric options.....

:C

Last edited by a moderator: