SEISS - 2nd payment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not open for applications yet is it?

It will be same eligibility criterea, but this time 70% of your average earnings.

You will have to make a fresh declaration that your business is adversely affected on some date in July.

I think it’s open from about the 15th July .....

my Q1 finishes next Tuesday so I’ll be able to see the effect of the virus since the beginning of April

It opens in August but you must be adversely effected after 14th July, 

now given that most of business is reopened and lockdown all but history you’d be hard pushed to say that you are adversely affected? 

They are not silly, they know they’ve opened up building sites and reduced social distancing so unless you actually contract Covid or have to self isolate as a result if someone you know or have been in contact with has developed it -which they will also know, A) they’ve had a test and have submitted details for track and trade, B) you have had a test then the likely hold is that you are not entitled to payment. 
so all those that claim the second one had better have good supporting evidence otherwise you may well find a taxman investigating your return next year, resulting in a review of your past 6 years tax submissions with the potential of a hefty tax bill and/or penalty fines. So is it really worth it? 

might I suggest that you leave claiming the second one until the very last days it’s available as by then who knows we may be under lock down again? 
I would be extremely surprised if the UK had another UK wide lockdown, but I do anticipate local lockdowns like parts of Europe are now experiencing 

It opens in August but you must be adversely effected after 14th July, 

now given that most of business is reopened and lockdown all but history you’d be hard pushed to say that you are adversely affected? 
Well I certainly continue to be adversely affected.  I will re evaluate and make the actual decision on 14th July.

ALL I have done since lockdown is small urgent repair jobs.  I have just ordered the parts for my first non repair job in 3 months, and that is only a days work. So yes I continue to be adversely affected.

Other trades I know are much the same. I don't work on big sites, just directly for individual customers and at the moment most of those don't want strangers in their houses doing work.

The eligibility measures for both first and second grant are the same...

SIESS.JPG

Bottom line, if some part of your average normal workload has been ceased / reduced / put on hold etc. etc..

then you are entitled to claim...

Examples of builders working on sites has minimal relevance to electricians working in all sectors of commerce & domestic work..

Anyone working for smaller individual customers, will know full well that if the quantity of quotation visits to potential customers has been diminishing significantly over the past two months..

then the amount of "new" work to do during the next two months will have also diminished!

I've had a few enquiries from people who want to know the cost of a job..

but then they need to wait to see if their own employer is still keeping them on ..

before they commit to spending any money that may no longer be available.

Retails taking a bashing..  Car industry taking a bashing.. Entertainments  taking a bashing...  Schools, Colleges, Universities are in limbo..   etc.. etc..

Loads of smaller suppliers & service industries to these will also take a bashing...

We are entering one of the biggest economic downturns in our life time....   And the question is "have you been affected"?  

I have a gut feeling that an awful lot of domestic jobs will be put on hold during July & August..

while customers spend their money on a holidays..

to go anywhere to escape weeks of their own four walls!

Can't see any logic to postponing a claim if you are entitled to do it at an earlier date?

:C  

Maybe I’ve just been fortunate then to have gone back to work full time flat out after 6 weeks off? I will not know if it has effected me until at least October. :C  

I would imagine that there are self employed people in all sorts of business sectors who will not actually know the full extent of Covid-19 until they do their end of year tax return. At this point in time there is no legal obligation upon any self employed person to keep monthly accounts up to date. So to know if July & August 2020 was significantly different from the average July & August over the past 3+ years, it may be just down to instinct and guess work at this point in time.  I would think the sensible thing to do is make a claim, then if you have any doubts, put any money you receive into a savings account you don't normally touch. Keep it on one side until your end of year tax return has been all processed and paid.  If there are any problems I would think you would have reasonable grounds to plead a bit of ignorance or simple mistake based on limited information and unprecedented economic situation. So worst case you just pay back an incorrect grant. I can't see how you could be fined more for an honest mistake. Claim it, Save it,  Don't spend it until you have verified entitlement. The basic problem is that some people will have been significantly impacted, whilst others haven't, but there is no single solution to every individual situation. I think HMRC understand this, and providing that 2020/21 Tax year is not significantly above your average calculated  over the past three years returns, then I doubt HMRC would have the time or resources to investigate further.   

Doc H.  

Last edited by a moderator:
SEISS #2 opens for applications today. I have just done mine.  Really easy, it remembered all the details from last time.  Payment expected to be made in 6 days.

You have to make the same declaration that your income has been adversely affected and it states you should retain proof of that.  For me it is simple, I just added up the income and expenses for June and July and can show profit is still well down on normal levels.

I would be extremely surprised if the UK had another UK wide lockdown, but I do anticipate local lockdowns like parts of Europe are now experiencing 
Agree with that, I think there'd have to be hoards of zombies roaming the streets before Boris locked us all down again, the only reason he did it in the first place was coz the rest of the world shamed him into it

Agree with that, I think there'd have to be hoards of zombies roaming the streets before Boris locked us all down again, the only reason he did it in the first place was coz the rest of the world shamed him into it
It’s the boards of idiots who went abroad on holiday, then moaned when the 14 day isolation was introduced.

muppets the lot of them 

no sympathy what so ever

SEISS #2 opens for applications today. I have just done mine.  Really easy, it remembered all the details from last time.  Payment expected to be made in 6 days.

You have to make the same declaration that your income has been adversely affected and it states you should retain proof of that.  For me it is simple, I just added up the income and expenses for June and July and can show profit is still well down on normal levels.

Received e-mail stating allowed to apply from tomorrow....

Guinness