Castlec MCBs - alternatives?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFM

Reaction score
Hi All,

Need to add two circuits to a property with a Castlec DB.  Cant find any Castlec MCBs (unless used) so am wondering if anyone knows if they have been re-branded or no longer exist?

Cheers,

ffm

probably going to have to add an additional board and split the tails

Difficult due to DB location (GF toilet, small area and clients won't be pleased as there is no space for it to be fitted).  If they haven't re-branded will need to be a replacement  DB............ 

You’re a bit stuck as the 18th edition states you can’t mix and match

i too haven’t heard of them , but if you’ve found them 2nd hand, explain this to the client and only give a 3 month warranty on these parts

You’re a bit stuck as the 18th edition states you can’t mix and match

i too haven’t heard of them , but if you’ve found them 2nd hand, explain this to the client and only give a 3 month warranty on these parts

Yeah, I know - hence the post.........

Wont go down the second hand path - that way leads to ruin..........

Looks like they get a shiny new DB, with full RCBO and SPD protection instead.  Frustrating though that they couldn't have had the additional circuits protected for about £10.00.........

I give customers like this the choice between the 2 options and point out the pros and cons of each

then leave them to decide

theres a large estate near me where about 50% of the cus are mem ....... tricky now the 18th demands rcd protection for lighting, as most of them were built under the 16th edition .... some of those conversations can get tricky as I think that customers think we are adding in unnecessary costs ..

Whats wrong with  2nd hand  I ask  .  I installed  a Bill/MEM/Eaton   TP  MCB last week  , supplied by Kerch on here .   Could have been a £10000   board change  plus loss of production  costs for the client .    Just send for them .  

Whats wrong with  2nd hand  I ask  .  I installed  a Bill/MEM/Eaton   TP  MCB last week  , supplied by Kerch on here .   Could have been a £10000   board change  plus loss of production  costs for the client .    Just send for them .  

i assume you tested that the MCB still worked and fired at the right rating?  What kit did you use to do that?

i assume you tested that the MCB still worked and fired at the right rating?  What kit did you use to do that?

Yeah of course I did  ......  I test every MCB  I ever come across  like everyone else does .  ...takes forever on a 36 way board  .

Thought you would especially as its second hand.  Always worth being very sure that you install something that works as its is out of manufacturers warranty.  Saves any "issues" later should it fail in its job.

Yes we must all be very sure that we all follow the rules and adhere to the letter of the latest editions  ........    Now then  I was halfway through "Good Rockin' Tonight "  before travelling down this long dusty road  .

Yes we must all be very sure that we all follow the rules and adhere to the letter of the latest editions  ........    Now then  I was halfway through "Good Rockin' Tonight "  before travelling down this long dusty road  .

TBH, not much to do with that. Very difficult to test MCB breaking currents without very expensive kit.  Manufacturers warranty their own products in their own DBs but not if re-located.  This means that if you are installing second hand MCBs you cant know that it operates within its required parameters.  If you decide to install a second hand socket, switch or light fitting, you can test thats its OK to install, we all have test equipment up for that.  RCDs can be be tested too, but MCBs.......  Personally, I wouldn't install, and charge for something I didnt know actually worked under fault conditions.  Before anyone comes back with "well you install MCBs from new without testing them", yes we do.  This is because they are quality controlled and passed by the manufacturer who provide the warranty should anything go wrong down the road. Installing a MCB second hand means that you take responsibility for it working on install.