Turned off Storage heaters on night rate question.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmoore

Reaction score
Hi

So I have a day/night meter (Economy 7) The night side is only connected to the storage heaters (Split/separate CU with one main 100A isolator and 2 16 MCBs for the 2 storage heaters) Because I don't use the storage heaters I have them switched off at the wall and also the MCBs are off as well.

Yet I'm still using between 50-80 kWh each month on the night rate and yet the heaters are not on. Why the 50-80 kWh?

How do you heat your water? 

50 - 80 kWh per month is about 1.6 kWh to 2.6 kWh per night so at 7 hours E7 your background usage is probably going to be around 1 kWh per nght, may be slightly more

Yes what you are probably not understanding is the WHOLE HOUSE gets the cheap rate at night, so things like your fridge running at night time will register on the cheap rate.

But you should be heating your hot water on the cheap rate with a well insulated tank. anything else and you are paying more (daytime rate) for your hot water.

Yes what you are probably not understanding is the WHOLE HOUSE gets the cheap rate at night, so things like your fridge running at night time will register on the cheap rate.

But you should be heating your hot water on the cheap rate with a well insulated tank. anything else and you are paying more (daytime rate) for your hot water.
Just to help me understand fully at the meter there are two lives coming out and one neutral that goes to a henley box and then split into two. I presume one L + N goes to the storage heater CU  and the other L + N goes to the other CU feeding the rest of the flat. So does that mean the storage heaters are on a permanent night feed and the rest of the flat switches between day and night rates? 

The hot water I think comes on about 6 am. (Electric Immersion heater) 

Just to help me understand fully at the meter there are two lives coming out and one neutral that goes to a henley box and then split into two. I presume one L + N goes to the storage heater CU  and the other L + N goes to the other CU feeding the rest of the flat. So does that mean the storage heaters are on a permanent night feed and the rest of the flat switches between day and night rates? 

The hot water I think comes on about 6 am. (Electric Immersion heater) 
Yes.

In the daytime, only the main consumer unit is powered and that is metered at the dar rate.  For 7 hours at night, the off peak consumer unit is energised and during that period, all electricity used by both consumer units is metered at the cheap rate.