New fan isol. switch by Scolmore includes fuse.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idea is good I suppose but I think it will produce some interesting circuits .

I can only see a  4 core required  now as the fuse MUST kill the  S/L  too . 

I've seen dozens of jobs in the past  with  spurs used that kill the L - N   but the S/L  remains live .  

I am only guessing at the fan circuit electronics, but I am going to guess that the fuse is only on the permanent live as that is what is used to actually power the motor and the switched live is just used as a control signal, as I say only guessing.

Have to agree with Dave that I don’t think it needs it as surely “our” protection is only for the fixed wiring and the manufacturer should build in there own protection or design their circuit around the fact that the fixed wiring is protected most likely around a 6A MCB.

They tend to recommend a 3A  fuse  but don't specify how to introduce it .  This is what has been latched onto I guess.  

The fuse needs to take the light out too  .  

Its hardly new people have been making this up with Click Minigrid for years, we usually just run the whole bathroom off the 3A to eliminate the risk of the S/L remaining live easy enough to do, 3C+E to the switch 1 core for the permanent live 1 core to send the switched live back to the fan iso and 1 core for the neutral then just 2C+E to the light. Feed your fan as normal from the iso. 

Click mini grid is the way forwards, I have made up some weird combinations 😂

I have a selection of square and round cornered plates on the van along with fuse holders, blanks, D.Ps, neons, dimmers and a slack handful of intermediates ( pointless stocking anything else really!, may confuse next spark that comes along BUT that's their issue! As they obviously didn't get me back)