Figure of 8

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penfield

Reaction score
Hi,

Probably a basic question for most but I need some clarification regarding the figure of eight test. If whilst conducting the test I obtained a reading above the allowed tolerance of 0.05 assuming that it’s not a spur what would tests/checks would I then need to carry out?

Hi,

Probably a basic question for most but I need some clarification regarding the figure of eight test. If whilst conducting the test I obtained a reading above the allowed tolerance of 0.05 assuming that it’s not a spur what would tests/checks would I then need to carry out?

Murdoch's question is very relevant, also if it is an older existing circuit, are you testing with your meter probes directly onto the terminals on the back of the socket, or using one of those plug adapters that you can connect your meter leads into sockets on the front. As those plug adapters, when used into an old socket, can add a fair bit of resistance onto the readings compared to your meter probes directly onto the terminals on the back of the socket. So the age and your connection method are very relevant factors.

Doc H.  

Thank you for your replies. It was a combination of socket adapter and a number of older sockets on the ring.

Older sockets can get corrosion on switch / pins so can give higher readings when testing through the front plate. Drop a plate off and re-test directly onto cables.