Door entry systems recommended

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked this before  and have some bumf somewhere ,  I tried a Forum  search  but cannot find my thread, so I'll ask again , may be some new ideas  .

Client is asking again for me to look at a card swipe  door entry  instead of the existing keypad.         Might be looking at taking the card off a leaving employee.   He'll get back to me on that .  

So;

A trouble free system required .

One entry /exit door .    with 12V solenoid lock . 

Employees swipe card to enter.

Visitors press button to speak to reception .

40 cards   Approx .      Or key  fob  style perhaps. 

Last edited by a moderator:
paxton can do all that. if you want expensive then paxton intercom & access, if you want cheaper then videx intercom and paxton tag reader. you can get stand alone systems, tags come in packs of 10, 25 50 & 100, although you can add many packs

Paxton.    I used to fit them on all the Dark Site data centres

bombproof

tracks usage

we even had a little pad that you could throw a swipe card/prob on and it would tell you who's it was and where they were last ( door-wise)

t ch will have advanced since I last did one 

FFS...just realised it must have been 10 yeas ago 😂

Thank you all.  I see Paxton is first up when Googled. 

I'm waiting on an email  to clarify as I'm wondering why a change of code has suddenly cropped up  ( And the mention of card entry )  

I'll go with Paxton .

The various websites are carp  as they use terminology  which is meaningless to me  .

I emailed Paxton direct see what they say .  

Went there today ,found they'd had to make some more redundancies  , there is a slight weariness of them knowing the existing door code  , although I can change it they are asking for a contactless  system due to the dreaded Covid  anyway ,  multiple fingers on the pad etc .   

Single door  only.      

50  key fobs 

Voice connection with reception for visitors .

should be easy enough - paxton on the door powering the lock, wire the intercom into the PTE terminals on the paxton to open it. dont forget a break glass if using a maglock or similar

there will be a button to exit from inside, but youll also need a break glass if there isnt already one that will disconnect the maglock if its pressed. unless the door can easily be opened another way
Ah  I'm with you now ...no Maglock , probably stick with the existing  Yale  ,    there must be keyholders  there  who can get in if power was off.          I know you can't shift those maglocks  .   

should be easy enough - paxton on the door powering the lock, wire the intercom into the PTE terminals on the paxton to open it. dont forget a break glass if using a maglock or similar
Andy , I'm being told I need to register as a "Registered installer "   before I can buy anything .     I just asked  Denmans Rexel   if they deal with Paxtons  , answer no , so I won't be getting  my 60 days terms .   

I see a Paxton supplier in Brum  , Aldridge Security  .      Customer  write up quote    "They were extremely rude "      Do I need to take Kerch with me ?  :innocent

avoid aldridge, ive stopepd using them a few years ago. dont think much of them. ****e customer service & they just constantly send junk emails. Try ADI global

Andy , I'm being told I need to register as a "Registered installer "   before I can buy anything .     I just asked  Denmans Rexel   if they deal with Paxtons  , answer no , so I won't be getting  my 60 days terms .   

I see a Paxton supplier in Brum  , Aldridge Security  .      Customer  write up quote    "They were extremely rude "      Do I need to take Kerch with me ?  :innocent
There are a few Paxton suppliers around Brum

https://www.paxton-access.com/install-paxton/how-to-buy/find-a-distributor/?country-select=uk