Laptop,advice needed please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
My old laptop is ready for retiring and I need a new one

its mainly for work

quotes

letters

spreadsheets for my invoices

emails

Amtech ( I know!) FASTEST

t'internet

anybody got any recommendations of what to get and what to avoid 'like an 80s TV personality!'?

budget is as little as possible since I ain't worked for 3 months!

are DELL any good?

old one is a Sony VAIO which has been great but it's about 10 years old and Windows7

Last edited by a moderator:
I am the forum cheapskate.  Linux on a donated old laptop.  Works plenty faster than any windoze machine I have ever had.

I recently had the same dilemma, I ended up with a Lenovo with Ryzen 3 processor and 256gb SSD HD and 8gb RAM with a 15.6" display. My budget was sub £400 and this one came in at £370 from Box. Came with windows 10 too. Been using it a week or 2 and seems pretty good so far. 

My 4 year old laptop has been getting slow - so last week I upgraded the RAM from 8GB to 16gb - and wow the difference 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
About three years age I bought an HP.  Working in the electronics business I had always respected and valued their product quality and thought it worth paying accordingly.  

A couple of months out of the warranty the keyboard failed. It turned out unrepairable due to no spares available. I won't touch those again!

About three years age I bought an HP.  Working in the electronics business I had always respected and valued their product quality and thought it worth paying accordingly.  

A couple of months out of the warranty the keyboard failed. It turned out unrepairable due to no spares available. I won't touch those again!

Sounds a bit like MK fuseboards 😞

My 4 year old laptop has been getting slow - so last week I upgraded the RAM from 8GB to 16gb - and wow the difference 😀
mum contemplating upgrading the RAM in mine but I also need to increase storage capacity so may just buy a new one altogether. :C  it’s only about 3years old. 

My Lenovo Ideapad has served me well for 5 years and counting.. I'd recommend looking up cheaper online stores and ordering from there, not from a big store which would charge you for their overheads, advertising etc as well.

My old laptop is ready for retiring and I need a new one

its mainly for work

quotes

letters

spreadsheets for my invoices

emails

Amtech ( I know!) FASTEST

t'internet

anybody got any recommendations of what to get and what to avoid 'like an 80s TV personality!'?

budget is as little as possible since I ain't worked for 3 months!

are DELL any good?

old one is a Sony VAIO which has been great but it's about 10 years old and Windows7
Hi I would suggest  installing a debian based linux distro there are plenty and for a older machine  you could try antix linux or even as my name fluxuan linux or if you really have bad resources puppy linux and you might save some money !

Hope it helps.

Hi I would suggest  installing a debian based linux distro there are plenty and for a older machine  you could try antix linux or even as my name fluxuan linux or if you really have bad resources puppy linux and you might save some money !

Hope it helps.
Will AMTECH work on Linux?