3 gang switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petegft

Reaction score
Hi i'm replacing my outside security light (Halogen) with an LED version. Power is currently supplied to the light via an FCU protected double socket which also feeds my Boiler in my loft.

I have a 2 gang switch in my bedroom and i'm looking at changing that for a 3 gang switch to enable isolating the PIR controlled  security lamp because in windy weather i've had false activation of the lamp. When that occurs i have to go up into the loft to switch the lamp off and im trying to make this easier without turning my House Alarm off!

Any ideas please ?

1)     You need to disconnect the present supply  to start with.  

2)     Take a look at your  bedroom lighting   , you'll need a neutral  from the light  & a switched live from the switch  .      Investigate the switch drop to see if you can get an extra cable down .

If you can't without hassle  , perhaps take a L&N  from the light to a  spur unit fitted somewhere convenient .    

Another option  could be to fit a spur  by a bedroom socket & feed flood from that . 

There are some fittings available which have RF remote controls.  I've no personal experience with these, but it could save you having to modify the house wiring.

Another thought :  Most led outside light fittings come with a short attached cable you can't replace, so need a waterproof junction box too.  

2)     Take a look at your  bedroom lighting   , you'll need a neutral  from the light  & a switched live from the switch  .      Investigate the switch drop to see if you can get an extra cable down .

If you can't without hassle  , perhaps take a L&N  from the light to a  spur unit fitted somewhere convenient .    

Another option  could be to fit a spur  by a bedroom socket & feed flood from that . 

Hi thanks for your advise and quick reply .i think Geoff1946 might have the simplest method by use of remote socket, I’m already using this system to control my lounge lights ! I’d never thought to just get a single one 😟

Thanks again for your suggestions and help 👍

There are some fittings available which have RF remote controls.  I've no personal experience with these, but it could save you having to modify the house wiring.

Another thought :  Most led outside light fittings come with a short attached cable you can't replace, so need a waterproof junction box too.  
Hi Geoff, thanks for your prompt reply.

your advise on the RF remote would be the simplest method by far and save a lot of cable and time ! I’m already using the RFs in my lounge so I will just obtain a single one and keep the remote in my Bedroom 👍 I just need a Cable Connector and a metre or so of Cable to connect to the short LED Lamp 👍

Thanks Geoff 👏