Semi commercial workshop lighting advice.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roys

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had a text from a bloke I know but haven’t seen in over a year, wants to upgrade his lighting in his workshop, asking what I recommend.

He has a small one man business from at a guess 20m x 10m steel shed at the back of his house, he repairs stuff like JCB’s and small to medium bull dozers, think he is kept busy.

From what I remember he had decent fluorescents going round the wall at about the 6 or 7 foot height mark with rough SWA running everywhere feeding them.

What do you think is his best upgrade options, replace tubes with LED, replace fittings for new LED, Or high power led floods.

knowing him he would do the job himself and I want nowt to do with it as I don’t want to be responsible fo the rats nest wiring with words like”well you were last there”

I don’t mind giving a bit of advice re type of fitting and brand but being retired for a few years I am a bit out of touch myself, any advice would be appreciated folks, cheers

as above, if the existing lights are in decent enough condition, fitting an LED tube is an easy way to change to LED

if the lights are old switch start then its easier to swap the wiring to LED than the HF fittings

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you pick that option Deke as opposed to reconfiguring fitting and retubing, also any particular fitting you have in mind?

Cheers
As Andy  with the JCC    or been fitting KSR  lately .       I just thought , if he.s going to get your advice then do it himself  , he probably leave the ballasts in the circuit when converting ...so just straight a swop  for an LED fitting ,  his choice .   

Photo0523.jpg

if he.s going to get your advice then do it himself  , he probably leave the ballasts in the circuit when converting

HS needs ballast bypassed. switch start doesnt but it is the easiest of the 2 to modify, just cut the choke out and fit both into terminal block. replaced starter with the one that comes with the lamp and youre done

As others have suggested if I were doing it..

I'd modify the internals and just replace tubes..

But if customer wants to do his/her own..  best just fit a complete replacement light fitting..

The only other proviso I would add is whatever light fittings you do recommend, make sure that have a decent manufactures warranty...

Not just a poxy 12months!!  

As if one of them does fail too quickly..  Mr customer will be moaning about your recommendation!!!

Guinness