Scottish Power irritating .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good moaning  , I jest called Scittish Power . 

Last month it was about them estimating my bills  before I tap  in my readings  .   I pay the bill in full but the estimated bills remain as debits on my account .  I had to convince the girl that because all my bills are fully paid  , I ignore the estimates  or I would be overpaying .   That took some doing . 

This month , as usual ,  I get an email request to supply readings  which I do .    Next day  ( 7 July)  although  I cannot  view my bill  , there is a demand to pay  ,  next day I CAN view the bill which , as I knew it would , states  Please pay by the 17th July .  

My irritation has been passed on  ( Not that it will change anything )  but you feel better .   

Time to change supplier.  I am happy with Octopus.  They are reputed to be the only one that has a customer service that anyone recommends as good.

You can set the DD amount per month. They won't mess you about if you are a few days late with your reading.  If your account is too much in credit (in the summer) you can request some back.  If you are getting too in debit in the winter you can make a one off payment rather than increasing your monthly DD. Never had a problem.

If you sign up with this link, you will get £50 credit off your first bill.

share.octopus.energy/light-eland-196

I feel your frustration. I had Shell Energy taken £120 out of my account to settle a balance (which they had assured me was £0 when I had spoken to them a couple of weeks beforehand) on an old account for a property that I had moved out of 18 months before that. 
There was a lot of hassle and swearing before I got that money back... 

Is it not a case of, you pay for what you get.

So if, you overpay this quarter, then you won't have as much to pay next quarter.

I feel your frustration. I had Shell Energy taken £120 out of my account to settle a balance (which they had assured me was £0 when I had spoken to them a couple of weeks beforehand) on an old account for a property that I had moved out of 18 months before that. 

been with shell energy for a few years now.

Never had any issues with them and I can adjust the monthly DD if I want .... which I’ve done once already this year as our solar is producing a decent amount of lecky.

I’ll adjust our DD again in October when I’ll see the benefit of 12 months Of solar

i login to their site on the last day of the month and give them our actual readings - say no to smart meters

Always make sure you cnacel the Direct Debit so they can't take money they aren't owed. Just had a similar thing as wife has moved leccy provider again (do so almost every year), and old company, despite being owed nothing got all shirty that she had cancelled DD. No doubt they wanted to take another payment, then get around to refunding it later having 'rested it' in there bank account. As Andy says, they are just after earning interest on your money, which is why they like to set DD higher than you actually use - must be making quite  abit of money like that! 

which is why they like to set DD higher than you actually use -
Doesn't always work that way. I'm with EDF who seem to insist on reducing summer time payments. 

I would prefer to overpay in summer to reduce winter payments; ideally pay  one twelfth of annual bill monthly.

They do say that's what they are aiming for but still keep messing with the DD. At the end of the day I don't feel strongly enough to argue with them.

Doesn't always work that way. I'm with EDF who seem to insist on reducing summer time payments. 

I would prefer to overpay in summer to reduce winter payments; ideally pay  one twelfth of annual bill monthly.

They do say that's what they are aiming for but still keep messing with the DD. At the end of the day I don't feel strongly enough to argue with them.
Fair enough, I've always disagreed with giving open access to my bank account - what ever happened to Standing orders? 

I think you can still do standing orders but both banks and suppliers prefer DDs.  Less admin' all round.  Suppliers tend to make DD use a condition of their contract.

Latest posts