Hello ! Commercial Engineer requesting advice :)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedy Says

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had a little read up and looks like a great forum you guys have 👍

About me:

A Commercial Electrical Engineering Supervisor working in new installations, energy upgrade projects, maintenance/reactive works.

So, if I may, I have a question; I've been working in the commercial sector as an 'Electrician' for over 15 years however time has come to rewire my own home. Obviously I know that domestic electricians are somewhat different to myself however want to ensure I comply with Law etc.

I have completed my C&G 2330 Level 2 & 3 and an Advanced Diploma in Electrotechnical Engineering (NVQ 3 Equivalent). As well as all 17/18th Edition amendment update courses. 

I read a lot of Part P & 'Domestic installers' but want to know in the eyes of the LBC is the only thing I am missing is a 2391 (or today's equivalent) to test/certify the works as I feel I am more than competent to design/install a domestic dwelling's wiring. 

Other reason for asking is that later in life I may choose to move to domestic works so would be good to know now.

Please be gentle.. :)  

You are a qualified electrician with more experience than many Domestic installers. 
sadly you will need the Part P if you want to sign it off yourself officially. You can by all means complete your own tests and installation certificate. 
whilst you are not officially allowed to register the install under Part P you may well want to ask yourself ‘ am I going to live here for the foreseeable’ if so then you’ll probably require an EICR prior to moving so ..........................

................sorry about that ,  Sharpie was just  arrested by the Spanish Inquisition  ,   no one would expect that .....  so  just rewire it , its your house , I'd guess you know exactly how to do it ...and if you decided to sell in the future  , as Sharpie said before being dragged off  ,  have an EICR  done  by a local contractor .....you'd probably be asked for one anyway .  

Couple of tips for you . .... (just post if you need more ) :-   

1.  Fit a DP main switch in your meter tails so you can move / upgrade  your consumer unit  whenever you want .

2. Rewiring a house means spending  days kneeling down ,   get knee pads. !!  

3. Make use of old wiring to drag new ones in .

4. Lid from some YT/2 mini trunking  makes a good underfloor widdler. 

5.  If you have say , two smallish light circuits , use 1.0mm  not 1.5mm   ( makes life easier) 

Edit:    A footnote on certification of work ...an a few occasions we have rewired ,  tested , issued certs, notified LBC ....then clients decided to sell.... the certification  proved to be useless because the buyers insisted on a test carried out by their "own" sparky.   :C  

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts