An Acceptable EICR?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was sent to me by a customer from their lettings agent:

Dear xxxxxxxx

Further to our electrical contractors visit to xxxxxxxxx  please see below his report.

"The consumer unit at the above property has been changed at some point and in itself is compliant.  One small issue on the consumer unit is that there is no cover on the spare circuit breaker position.  This leaves access to live parts and becomes a Code 1 issue on testing.  Further note on the consumer unit is that the cover/ flap that covers the circuit breakers is missing.  This has been removed to allow the consumer unit to fit inside the existing wooden cupboard.  This would be a Code 3 issue which although not a failure would require improvement.

I also have concerns about the wiring as it is original cabling.   From a visual inspection of the lighting circuits the circuit protective conductor (earth cable) doesn’t seem to be continuous to all switches and pendants.  Also on removing the kitchen switches, I found the original porcelain screw on joints to be in use, these have long since been outlawed.  There should be an original certificate to accompany the consumer unit change and these items should be detailed on this, if possible it would be good to see this."

We are concerned that the rewiring work required to the property will be impossible to carry out whilst tenants are living in the property and it may be better to allow the current tenancy to run onto a periodic tenancy at the end of this term on 1st August and serve notice on the tenants early next year so that this work can be carried out when the house is vacant and before the deadline for this work on 1/4/21.

Do let us know if you have any queries regarding the above and whether you can find the old certificate for the consumer unit in your paperwork for xxxxxxxxxxxxx  If so please can you send this over to us.

For the record I don't think this is acceptable practice

with the Outlawed procelain connectors.. 
I occasionally find screwits still in use. I have not yet found one that has failed.  Where they are a pain is if you need to add an extra connection so they get replaced.

I suspect they are more robust than a cheap choc block, and are they not by definition "maintenance free"?

the current tenancy to run onto a periodic tenancy at the end of this term on 1st August and serve notice on the tenants early next year so that this work can be carried out when the house is vacant and before the deadline for this work on 1/4/21.
Unbelievable  !!!     Please evict your tenants  next year  so that we can  rewire .   

They're just trying to blag a rewire out of it then ....lettings agent gets a kick back off the rewire . 

We did a rental inspect about 3 weeks ago ,  lettings agent had told landlord it must be every year  ...I double checked , told them its 5 years ...but apparently the lettings agent MUST be right because they are lettings agents .   :C        Still  wrote 5 years on the cert . 

They're just trying to blag a rewire out of it then ....lettings agent gets a kick back off the rewire . 

We did a rental inspect about 3 weeks ago ,  lettings agent had told landlord it must be every year  ...I double checked , told them its 5 years ...but apparently the lettings agent MUST be right because they are lettings agents .   :C        Still  wrote 5 years on the cert . 
maybe they have a change of tenancy evey year? :innocent

some agents like to insist on yearly, but probably just visual. Official guide is 5 years or at change of tennant.