SWA sub main

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jockspark

Reaction score
I have  a swa supply from the house to the annex about 3 meters from the house.

The question is can I terminate the swa into the annex comsumer unit?

I know in a TT system the tails need to be double insulated. Can I terminate single insulated from the SWA on a TNS system?

Yes just gland the SWA off into the board ....double insulated tails don't come into it TBH. 
Thanks for the reply. I am doing this for another electrician. He started qioting from the regs about double insulated tail. What I tried point out this was for TT system.

He was saying I had to use an adaptable box etc. He had me doubting myself tbh I thought I had missed something in the 18th.

Regardless of earthing arrangement the cables must be suitably protected, meter tails should be double insulated unless there's sufficient mechanical protection.

SWA internal cores need mechanical protection, such as trunking or conduit, as the insulation is not suitably rated. Either gland direct into the DB or adaptable box with coupler, whichever is the best option.

Regardless of earthing arrangement the cables must be suitably protected, meter tails should be double insulated unless there's sufficient mechanical protection.

SWA internal cores need mechanical protection, such as trunking or conduit, as the insulation is not suitably rated. Either gland direct into the DB or adaptable box with coupler, whichever is the best option.

Not when the SWA is glanded directly into a CU

Snatches the pedant's coat from Kerch  , and adds  pedantic hat ,gloves , trousers & shoes  to say  they are ...in actual fact ...and as far as I know ....and I could be wrong   'cos Kerch is no slouch  but I call them  ....Insulated & sheathed .  

Quickly removing all this Pedantic clothing  as  I don't feel comfortable in it .  

Snatches the pedant's coat from Kerch  , and adds  pedantic hat ,gloves , trousers & shoes  to say  they are ...in actual fact ...and as far as I know ....and I could be wrong   'cos Kerch is no slouch  but I call them  ....Insulated & sheathed .  

Quickly removing all this Pedantic clothing  as  I don't feel comfortable in it .  
Yep, I'll,let you have that one!

bloke in local,wholesalers referred to it as thick meter wire, no idea if it's suitable for smart metering though

Puts on pedants coat......tails are NOT double insulated they are doubled COVERED

just saying 😂 

Isn't the proper term for them (tails) "sheathed and insulated"? (Not double insulated).

EDIT: Just read Deke saying the same thing, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
That may confuse the issue  Sid  ,    the SWA cores are fine inside the consumer unit .  
Thisis where the confusion started. I was glanding off into the consumer unit. The electrician who I subbed the job off say tails must be double insulated. Hence my comment have I missed something that changed in the 18th edition.

No you havn't missed anything  Jock ,   I got it wrong as regards  TT installations .....there is now a move to  insulate & Sheath    tails within a metal board with a TT supply ...where the tails are before  any RCDs   .   

Sorry for the confusion . ...they keep moving the goalposts.