Wow, wow, wow

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I was chatting to a letting agent this afternoon and asked her how the mandatory EICR’s are going 

her response “nearly all are failing”

this agent manages property in one of the most expensive and exclusive areas around here, so I’m guessing they are coming out as “unsatisfactory” because they don’t meet the 18th edition

what a farce ........

Yup and the HOC have well and truly courgetteed up haven't they ............. as I warned them😀

you always I&T to current standards. they havent exactly courgetteed up by stating this. its the so called 'electricians' doing the I&T that are not doing it correctly

you always I&T to current standards. they havent exactly courgetteed up by stating this. its the so called 'electricians' doing the I&T that are not doing it correctly

"they" are saying the law says the rental properties must comply with the 18th edition

had another "report" yesterday.

Sparky emails lettings agency, lettings agency lists issues (no reg numbers) and a quote to put right

No unsatisfactory EICR has been provided ...................

This is interesting .      It always stated that , as Andy says,    you test PIRs & now EICRs  to the latest Regs .    I believe this time they actually stated  "  testing to the 18th edition " .

That would imply to many sparks that that if he can't see a metal board , a lightening strike over current jobbie  and  whatever that other thing  was that no one fits ..it must be an " Unsatisfactory"    result.       Totally forgetting that the place as deemed to be safe during the 16th   & 17th  editions  say.  

I think the answer  to all this lies in the coding  chosen by the tester .          

I have a question on testing  but don't want to cloud  this thread  so create a new one .         

I'm guessing the board isn't metal...

I went to see this property yesterday - and only did a visual like the other "spark" had done and according to the tenant he just walked around for about 30 minutes

My conclusion is that the other spark arrived on horseback

I recommended the landlords undertake a proper EICR so the true situation can be assessed - and they have agreed with me - watch this space

Had one yesterday

NO RCD.....C1...........it's a 2013 board with RCD main switch

board is plastic. ......C2

sockets are single and unswitched ...C3

not enough sockets....C3

No earth on lighting...C1

loads of others these are just the ones I can remember.......all on a list, no official certs or anything 

estate agents wouldn't tell me who had done it

Had one yesterday

NO RCD.....C1...........it's a 2013 board with RCD main switch

board is plastic. ......C2

sockets are single and unswitched ...C3

not enough sockets....C3

No earth on lighting...C1

loads of others these are just the ones I can remember.......all on a list, no official certs or anything 

estate agents wouldn't tell me who had done it

In bold - that's an interesting coding !

Had one today

customer rings me and asks if I can have a look at a report that has been done on her rental   ( I couldn't do the EICR due to my current project)

firstly it states on the top line

Visual Condition Inspection!......and cost her £60

Mains

PVC C2

NOT compliant with IP4X C2

bathroom

light fitting  not suitable for area C2

complete inspection took less than 15 minutes

New metal board required. £500 ( present board is a split load twin RCD board )

in order to issue a Current Safety Certificate we recommend that those items which do not meet standards BS7671 are rectified