700 Watts from solar panel and battery

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm.f

Reaction score
Hello all,  could I ask for some advice.

I would like to run a 700 watt Clarkes electric pump at my allotment to water the plot from a ground water well.  (I currently run this at home off the mains and it works fine).

So my thoughts are 

1. A solar panel to charge a battery

2. A charge controller

3. A 1000 watt inverter

4.  A car battery.

My question is:  How long would a 700 watt pump run off a fully charged car battery?  Would I be right in thinking that a 700 watt motor would draw 3 amps? 

If the above setup works, what power battery would I need and approximately  how long would it take to charge up after using it for an hour?  

BTW - I typically water the allotment every 3 days.

Thanks 

Malcolm

A typical 60Ah car battery will store a total of 720 watt hours, so in theory would run your pump for one hour. the reality given you can never fully discharge a battery and the inverter losses would be more likely half an hour.

You would probably do better to try and find a 12V pump to eliminate the inverter.

Thanks ProDave,  I'm not sure if I can source a 12v pump but I'll take a look around.

you need a leisure battery not a car battery - wrong battery tech.  How bid a battery depends on how long you use the pump for.

Status
Not open for further replies.