New power supply for a Ring Floodlight Security Camera

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcy

Reaction score
Hi All. 
My first post so please go easy on this novice.

I’m responding to being burgled last week by adding more security to my house including one or two Amazon Ring Security Camera / Floodlights.... which require hardwiring.

I’ve watched a few installation videos on YouTube and haven’t found a UK version that addresses all my needs.

Most significantly,  I don’t have an external light to replace so for this new installation I’m assuming I need to make a switched spur connection to my ring mains power circuit.

This sounds like lifting floorboards ( necessary or avoidable?) and also drilling through the external cavity wall at the site of the external light mounting.
I’ll welcome inputs to confirm if this is exactly what’s needed and also around the following...

The installation instructions refer to the need for a junction box. Is this the same as the switched spur unit or something else. I’m unsure about this based on the way another PIR floodlight has been configured to include both a switched spur (as above) and also a small metallic round one gang conduit box  on the external wall from which a very short run of wiring to the PIR fitting connects. (This may be solely due to the floodlight fitting having no mounting other than holes for wall fixings). And so if the mounting for the new fitting can be attached to the wall face at the site of the exiting wiring, I’m assuming that I don’t need a one gang conduit box. All said before I make a start on anything I’ll welcome informed guidance to make the overall plan together with anything else I may be missing. Thanks for reading.