Induction hob choice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Thyme

Reaction score
I am wanting to change my gas hob for an induction version. The kitchen has its own ring main in 2.5mm² cable and a b32 mcb. Also in the kitchen is a cooker circuit, also b32 mcb but much heavier cable. My hob is on the opposite side of the kitchen, fed from the ring main for the igniter only.

Before I involve a professional to make necessary changes I want to make sure that I am looking at appropriate choices and am aware of limitations. I admit I am not sure how ‘diversity’ would affect my choice of hob. One that I’m looking at has 'Power Management'

"Power management" (Function where it is available)

Thanks to the "Power management" function, the user can set the maximum power the hob can reach, as required.

This setting is possible at any time and is maintained until the next change.

By setting the required maximum power, the hob automatically adjusts distribution in the various cooking zones, ensuring that this limit is never exceeded; with the advantage of also being able to manage all the zones simultaneously, but without overload problems.

4 maximum power levels are available and showed on display: 2.5 – 4.0 – 6.0 – 7.2 kW (7.2 kW is considered as max power of cooktop)

If I choose this model (Hotpoint CID740B) could I have it connected simply to the kitchen ring? Most grateful for any advice.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1070614/Hotpoint-Cid740b.html?page=10#manual

I am wanting to change my gas hob for an induction version. The kitchen has its own ring main in 2.5mm² cable and a b32 mcb. Also in the kitchen is a cooker circuit, also b32 mcb but much heavier cable. My hob is on the opposite side of the kitchen, fed from the ring main for the igniter only.

Before I involve a professional to make necessary changes I want to make sure that I am looking at appropriate choices and am aware of limitations. I admit I am not sure how ‘diversity’ would affect my choice of hob. One that I’m looking at has 'Power Management'

"Power management" (Function where it is available)

Thanks to the "Power management" function, the user can set the maximum power the hob can reach, as required.

This setting is possible at any time and is maintained until the next change.

By setting the required maximum power, the hob automatically adjusts distribution in the various cooking zones, ensuring that this limit is never exceeded; with the advantage of also being able to manage all the zones simultaneously, but without overload problems.

4 maximum power levels are available and showed on display: 2.5 – 4.0 – 6.0 – 7.2 kW (7.2 kW is considered as max power of cooktop)

If I choose this model (Hotpoint CID740B) could I have it connected simply to the kitchen ring? Most grateful for any advice.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1070614/Hotpoint-Cid740b.html?page=10#manual

If you have an appliance that can run at 7.2kw, it is stupid beyond understanding to not install a circuit that can supply the full 7.2kw. (Otherwise its a bit like having a Ferrari and only doing the school run at 25mph average and 2 mile round trip). Don't even consider the concept of connecting to a ring circuit, Install a new circuit capable of the full potential of the money invested in the new induction hob.

Doc H

If you have an appliance that can run at 7.2kw, it is stupid beyond understanding to not install a circuit that can supply the full 7.2kw. (Otherwise its a bit like having a Ferrari and only doing the school run at 25mph average and 2 mile round trip). Don't even consider the concept of connecting to a ring circuit, Install a new circuit capable of the full potential of the money invested in the new induction hob.

Doc H
Thanks. Very much as I thought. If I have the cooker circuit extended across the kitchen would the existing single oven, combination oven and new hob be OK all on the same circuit? What dimension cable and mcb rating would be sufficient? I'd like to understand what effect diversity would have?

You need to decide on what units you may buy then get a local spark in to advise you.

There’s more to this than just a bit of cable...

normally only a site visit is essential

then there is earthing, bonding and rcds to consider