Remote controlled dimmable switching without cabling : )

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS79

Reaction score
Evening all. Hope everyone's well.

Question for you's........anyone aware of any lighting control products that can be controlled via a remote and wall mounted switch and are also dimmable and doesn't involve the need for any wiring at switch. Customer currently has this set up but unfortunately manufacturer has gone out of business so can't replace one of the remote recievers for it. The set up he has at the moment as far as can see it has permanent supply to these recievers in ceiling and they communicate wirelessly to remote and switch. Have looked into Varilight products but as far as can see these involve taking permanent feed to switch. Trying to avoid this as going to have cut out holes to get my cable there. Any pointers be appreciated.

Phillips Hue (bulbs)
Thanks Murdoch. Have never looked into Phillips Hue set ups from a quick look might be a solution. For someone aswell totally forgot about Quinetic this might do the job also. Part of the problem I have is trying to adapt his current fittings, they are low voltage halogen at the with 3 bulbs in each fitting with own transformer. He wants to convert to LED's. Thinking if did convert these to GU10's and hardwire them aslong as I get decent firehoods for these (lives in apartment) this would provide the adequate fire rating?

Why does remote receiver need replacing? Isn’t just a case of battery in it gone flat? 
No it's the reciever in ceiling mate thats 230v supplied. He's had trouble with these previously just seem to have short life span. That are also only suitable for halogen lighting he wants to convert to LED's

Thanks Murdoch. Have never looked into Phillips Hue set ups from a quick look might be a solution. For someone aswell totally forgot about Quinetic this might do the job also. Part of the problem I have is trying to adapt his current fittings, they are low voltage halogen at the with 3 bulbs in each fitting with own transformer. He wants to convert to LED's. Thinking if did convert these to GU10's and hardwire them as long as I get decent firehoods for these (lives in apartment) this would provide the adequate fire rating?

Be careful with Philips Hue GU10's - they used to be taller than standard GU10 bulbs so don't fit in all fittings

Thanks

Phillips hue are ideal for lots of situations and as they don't need any hardware / wiring altered in the house can be a godsend.

The initial set up isn't cheap but 
To be honest couldn't ask for better customer isn't a penny pincher just wants to go for best solution I think. Will send him details of Phillips and Quinetic and see what he thinks is most suitable