Workshop/studio air con

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1nkling

Reaction score
Hi all,

As the subject implies I'm looking for advice on installation of an air con unit in my home workshop. 

Its a SIP panel construction workshop I built myself. I wired it myself including the armoured cable then had an electrician come in and connect all the ends, certify, etc. All cable internally runs through simple ducting. 

Although toasty in the winter I've been struggling to work during the days with the heat we've been having this summer so decided to buy a split air conditioner. It's 9000btu and is possible to run off a plug using a 13 amp fuse. I have a spare space in my consumer unit though so thought the more sensible option would be to run a 2.5mm cable from there with a 16a mcb. 

Just wanted to check with the experts and see if this really is the best thing to do. Thanks for any advice. 

The split, through wall ones, come as low as 3kW, that's the heating / cooling rating, so about 1kW of electricity, so they would run okay on a flex and a 13A plug.

you can get them for about £400 pre gassed.

The split, through wall ones, come as low as 3kW, that's the heating / cooling rating, so about 1kW of electricity, so they would run okay on a flex and a 13A plug.

youre also supposed to be F gas registered to install. youll aso need a vacuum pump to do it properly

youre also supposed to be F gas registered to install. youll aso need a vacuum pump to do it properly
A lot of these small pre gassed ones say not.  Both units  are pre charged with gas, you just connect the short lengths of pipes and open the valves and they say you can go that without an F gas ticket.

Of course you could make a mess of the connections and all the gas escapes.

A lot of these small pre gassed ones say not.  Both units  are pre charged with gas, you just connect the short lengths of pipes and open the valves and they say you can go that without an F gas ticket.

Yeh, nail on the head there Dave.  It was £500 and is a QuickConnect version precharged with a new gas that is safe to self-install without an F gas engineer.  It actually has a very clever locking connector system for connecting it up.  I'll come back and let you all know if I cock that bit up. 😄

Seems general consensus so far is just to run it from a plug then.  I was loathe to permanently use a socket and thought it would be a more elegant job to run it on the spare mcb circuit as its only a case of running 5m of cable in some conduit that's already in place.

pipes still need vacuumed and since you are working on a refrigerant system then yes, you need F gas. also, both units are not pre charged. the outside unit is, the inside isnt. you connect the pipework to the outside unit, vacuum, then open the valves

even the pre filled systems here says

Easyfit does not mean you are allowed to commission these units yourself, all easyfit units must be commissioned by an F-gas engineer in accordance to the UK F-gas regulations. If you are unsure of what you can or cannot do please give us a call on 0800 458 0101 were we will be happy to help.

https://www.cooleasy.co.uk/categories/easy-fit-air-conditioning

Seems general consensus so far is just to run it from a plug then.  I was loathe to permanently use a socket and thought it would be a more elegant job to run it on the spare mcb circuit as its only a case of running 5m of cable in some conduit that's already in place.

then do that. new circuit & fused spur / DP switch. dont forget building regulations apply...

If you do mess up the piping and the gas leaks then you WILL need an F gas engineer to fix the leak and re gas it.

No doubt.  🤞

pipes still need vacuumed and since you are working on a refrigerant system then yes, you need F gas. also, both units are not pre charged. the outside unit is, the inside isnt. you connect the pipework to the outside unit, vacuum, then open the valves

You're very right about both units not being charged, I've done more reading and it appears they just overcharge the outside unit with enough to fill the pipes and the indoor unit.

then do that. new circuit & fused spur / DP switch. dont forget building regulations apply...

I think given then advice I've had here I'll stick to using on a plug.  I don't have the knowledge of building regs and what I thought was a better idea obviously wasn't.  But hey, that's why I came here to ask advice from the experts.  

Thanks to all for the suggestions and tips.

A split system is undoubtedly necessary, especially in the summer heat, when you miss the coolness so much. Before you begin the installation, familiarize yourself with the rules of installation of external units in the housing complex, ask the management company for a detailed explanation.

will doing so ensure satisfaction and happiness?