Too many wires

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham59

Reaction score
I'm putting on a new double 13amp wall socket - the old one was in need of replacement. My problem is that I've got 3 live, 3 neutral and 3 earth wires. It's an absolute dog to get all in their respective holes and stay there. Any suggestions to make things easier, please?

3 wires is fairly normal and nothing unusual about it... tbh if you cant manage that then you need to be getting someone competent in to do so. get it wrong and bad things happen...

If you’ve got imperial cable, then some sockets don’t have big enough terminals to accommodate 3 cables

in fact some shed sockets can’t accommodate 3 metric cables

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed it is probably a carp socket with inadequate terminals if you can't get 3 cables in and SECURE.

I still find MK one of the worst now and could not recommend them.

MK used to be the only ones I fitted, fitted them for years and years, thought they were great, sad to see they are no longer up there.

Been fitting Click for about 3 or 4 years now.

MK used to be the only ones I fitted, fitted them for years and years, thought they were great, sad to see they are no longer up there.

Been fitting Click for about 3 or 4 years now.
Same here  ,  MK was top quality , domestic  ,  grid switch range  etc.    I even remember some of the  house bashing sparks would fit a cheap range of accessory throughout a rewire , Ashley & Tenby  were a couple   .....but the kitchen would have a couple of MK twin sockets  to avoid any call backs when the kettle had burned out the cheaper brands. 

I always have a bit of nostalgia when I get to work on an old house that still has the probably 50 year old original MK sockets.  Once you blow the dust off, they still exude quality, even to the point of having "brass" screws that are actually made of brass.