Light doesn't seem to fully power on?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjruk

Reaction score
Hello, sorry i'm absolutely clueless and have been waiting weeks for someone to come out and have a look and noone still has yet and was curious if anyone would know the answer so hopefully this is the right place.

I have a pull cord bathroom light, one day it just went like this, it powers on but not fully? i'm so confused. I've looked everywhere and I haven't a clue what it is. It isn't the bulb as I've tried a replacement. Hopefully someone can help, many thanks.

ZxjfIZWsS5H15_AREdH7dlRbW6nu-l7hfPlcFOFTuvI2bhrJhH6TwVjO8N8e2cETQt0FAs2ac9A6jmXlYiZ_sUaGdmbTKs4wzflRpKeuPgQ4P8spPZjE8vA8fjc0xmA1gtHqHQYA0pkfmGHPTuM16mebggSYTWu8WeX8cgI0Jcdl_JTNq1WxikLiUW8fHEqQ8UC0lHUZEC2V67bNZOqV_YXXvGqWYIivTAeXtTlUT7qz8Vj6Omogi2dAOBjJBeUlBFurWB8Y0-ajmQRUv-rRSq_-hNSc4pN1eSi_naPKsf7vYAos-PgHoMEh3f690ReeHyWKUDl546hOAy4ex1EPpZ56WZlmjUPXys4vqw10EAl-XdD6TtQHpptWeeYX4W4YOj4pYWiqWsBgP27_XxHXtch0oYzwJujGh2mYPb5fny86Lz4_YlgGftzT7zh9jtPxJRKwtloHwWWJyvuptOBPqmJnaToC5CMvEyPkvo4hDVy9vrleTU03aFldwjHVC-Vv03YiklRzSruAfG5xI5maiNgL7Nr878gPach-Ega9mdgHiJuO8DU1mjNFah4LMpblXTj3RK6e3E7MPQGKduR9ksZbhNq32bRpF09YW_EX7W2xarUL4EIzu7zNLQlok23h316d7bxgV1b-FLTqLz0ZVgdVVQBdr7zfHEjPRWCHJxzLh6QXHAj0hRKGtJQMOpUyGudMDAujOLH4sUCKV2zu5-JtNfsbCqsAvxOFijx0YTuJcpk8Pgy8XY_m8zQSTzeiVkpm=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

Are you sure you have the correct replacement lamp?  IIRC there are two pin and 4 pin ones. The two pin ones have a starter in the lamp, the four pin ones it's part of the fitting.  Your picture looks like a failed or absent starter.

There will be a ballast and maybe a starter behind the plate you see in the fitting.  

Are you sure you have the correct replacement lamp?  IIRC there are two pin and 4 pin ones. The two pin ones have a starter in the lamp, the four pin ones it's part of the fitting.  Your picture looks like a failed or absent starter.

There will be a ballast and maybe a starter behind the plate you see in the fitting.  
light2.jpg.ff17017ecd21b0d3a677ca711bf95d9e.jpg
light1.jpg.b53aafe9015fcf82ebe285ffa781e0c3.jpg

Hi, those are the pictures of the bulb and the connector? I'm pretty sure they are correct for each other?

Sometimes it is not worth spending time fixing a fitting like that. Personally I find 2D / 4D whatever you call them light fittings to be one of the most unreliable,. and now, rather than fix them, I replace the innards with a new LED gear tray.

Hi, those are the pictures of the bulb and the connector? I'm pretty sure they are correct for each other?
That lampholder only looks to have 2 contacts in it I'm thinking you need a 2 pin lamp. Do you sill have the old lamp, if you do how many pins did that have

looks like a failed starter. there usually accessible though, but may be above the cover. or its a HF unit thats dies but they dont usually glow that way

That lampholder only looks to have 2 contacts in it I'm thinking you need a 2 pin lamp. Do you sill have the old lamp, if you do how many pins did that have
the 2 pin version pins are in a different location. you cant put the wrong ones in (well, not without forcing it in and doing damage)

Are you sure you have fitted the correct wattage replacement lamp as the original? 

These lamps do come in a variety of wattage's.... 

If you have tried to fit a greater wattage lamp and the control gear inside the fitting isn't  up to the job.. (Cheap Chinese Tat)...

you may get strange results...

If the light fitting is out of warranty then it may not be economically viable to pay for someone to attempt a repair...

If I am supplying a light for a customer I would tend to avoid these types of light fittings, due to maintenance/faults/call-backs etc as Pro Dave mentioned..

Far better to follow Roys advice and buy or convert fitting for standard Bayonet or Screw thread lamp-holders...

As there is an abundance of LED BC & ES lamps available now....

Guinness

:Salute

Last edited by a moderator:
Defiantly a short circuit starter. You just have to find it, must be under that plate. Worth doing, starters are much cheaper than a complete new innards.