Mouse advice please.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old mouse was , occasionally , not reacting on the clicks ,  a cheap one from ASDA   lasted at least 4 years .   So bought a new one  which is driving me up the wall ...it sticks , it jumps ....it disappears ...etc       I tried different mouse settings in Control panel   but often it reverts  to the last one I set .      

Theres options like  "Old Fashioned "    Windows Aero  etc etc      It starts off OK   then the longer I use it the worse it gets. 

Any ideas   

Last edited by a moderator:
try a different mouse mat.
I just use it on the desk surface , the last one worked OK .  

Is your new mouse wireless?

are you using it on a dark surface?
Not tried a dark surface ...Hmmmm,   using the cover of a file  ...it does seem  more positive  ................at the moment .  Need to try that for  20 mins  or more  which I'll do tomorrow.   Might have to create a black mouse mat. 

Thanks guys  

Is your new mouse wireless?
No  its wired .

I just use it on the desk surface , the last one worked OK .  

Not tried a dark surface ...Hmmmm,   using the cover of a file  ...it does seem  more positive  ................at the moment .  Need to try that for  20 mins  or more  which I'll do tomorrow.   Might have to create a black mouse mat. 

Thanks guys  

No  its wired .

1.  Wireless mice can do funnies when the battery needs replacing.....

BUT...   if you are still using a wired mouse then...   Batteries are not going to be the problem!

2.   Is your mouse an optical mouse or a traditional "roller-ball" that detects the mouse movement?

Optical mice will be a bit erratic if not running on a nice consistent surface. (e.g. Mouse mat).

3.  I still prefer a mouse with my laptop, even though it has one of those built in  touch-pad thingies...

And if my mouse fails I just go out and buy a new one TBH...

4. New wireless mouse 

(Picked of a replacement wire-less, mouse this week for £8 from Tesco's..

:C

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ..its wired  optical   , the last one was fine for years ,  ....this is actually still working OK  on the black cover of a  binder file  so that may be the way to go. 

Optical will require a dark/colour consistent mat to work effectively. The older were of a roller wheel that detected physical motion of the wheel so mat or not wasn’t relevant. 

Usually  is a driver problem or maybe it was an windows update that gives those kind of problems try changing USB port and update your windows and you should  try a 1 quid mouse from the poundshop I think you will be surprised 

error-404-mouse-not-found.jpg.5cfd83d2f1eb76bd144fa483cdef532f.jpg

404 is html server code for a broken link. Windows has error 24 for a mouse driver error in event logs...  However an optical mouse can be affected by even the smallest bit of fluff on the underside.  In theory, assuming you're on Windows 10 or 8.1, the OS should identify the mouse and load correct drivers from the catalogue. You could also try two extremes of a matt or mirrored/ polished surface to confirm which cause the greater problem, but it's more likely to be a fine bit of fluff.

Would need 3.11 to get t'interweb and memory management for that space above 640k.  Still got a box of BNC network fittings if that helps with a system refresh, after all, Brexit doc mentions Moz4