18th edition Regs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just me  ...probably ....    or do others find it hard going .      ?  

Up to the 17th  I was fine , navigating through ,  assimilating stuff ,  I had to do the course for the 17th  and it is well  thumbed .  

But this edition ...perhaps I'll  just getting old ... seems over complicated , boring ,  loads of stuff we never bothered with before .    

Up to the 17th  I was fine , navigating through ,  assimilating stuff ,  I had to do the course for the 17th  and it is well  thumbed .  

But this edition ...perhaps I'll  just getting old ... seems over complicated , boring ,  loads of stuff we never bothered with before .    
it’s blatantly obvious that the IET and all the sub groups are scraping the barrel to dream up regulation changes, and have been doing so for a while.

i would say that the next amendment needs to be 2027 at the earliest

thank god that the 18th will be my last

Yep....we're just getting too old!

I realised that today on my little project

todays task was a trial to see how feasible it was to run 5m lengths of lighting trunking at 12m from the floor on a 55m run. A bit of a brain scrambler in places but nailed it

tomorrows will be easier as I Have to do another 3 identical runs

pictures to follow...maybe

Keeping customers happy...  EASY..

Keeping self notification for Part-P compliance up to date......  (maybe not quite as easy???)

Not yet sat & passed my 18th edition..

Need to do it before next assessment apparently..  (Feb/Mar 2021)..

Local college where I went to take 17th edition,

now no-longer doing electrical courses/exams..

So probably looking at other on-line options!!!!

Guinness

Yep....we're just getting too old!

I realised that today on my little project

todays task was a trial to see how feasible it was to run 5m lengths of lighting trunking at 12m from the floor on a 55m run. A bit of a brain scrambler in places but nailed it

tomorrows will be easier as I Have to do another 3 identical runs

pictures to follow...maybe

this we have got to see

not quite 12mtr high, but usually when im installing stuff like that, i hang the far end from a rope attached to whatever i can, attach other end to bit already installed then work along its length securing it

this we have got to see

not quite 12mtr high, but usually when im installing stuff like that, i hang the far end from a rope attached to whatever i can, attach other end to bit already installed then work along its length securing it
View from the top

CA8CB540-E962-403D-AF34-D2AB0ACC5EBE.jpg

ill try a 'ground up' shot tomorrow

roof trusses are 4" angle iron back to back with a gap inbetween

My system is

6" welding C clamp on two trusses, drill hole in end of trunk, 140mm roofing bolt through trunk and gap, M6 serrated flange nut and penny washer, support trunk on on clamps, move onto next truss , drill trunk, fasten to girder, move scissor lift and repeat

Is there a reason why you are fitting new lights so much higher than existing? Does the boy need full height for storage? 
Correct

he can lift pallets right into space between trusses

the steelwork you can see below is at 9.2m

that forklift in the distance will lift to 7.6m ( it weighs 6 tons!!) and some of his pallets are 3m tall

so trunking at 12m ish. And lights will,be suspended between trusses slightly lower. Trunking is solely for cable and mounting Gregs on

DId you fix the trunk with an extra long  roofing bolt  through the gap between those back to back purlins ?   

I did this place like that using 5 mtr  trunking  with plastic knock in lid.   

Paper warehouse.jpg

you fix the trunk with an extra long  roofing bolt  through the gap between those back to back purlins 
Yep

and the plan is to hang the hi bay LEds from adjacent "fixings" by the cunning use of 'eye nuts' with an M6 thread from the exposed bits of bolt.....I think

18th exam was "harder" than the 17th imo. Questions were worded like they were deliberately trying to catch you out. It's all about the £££.