Spur off breaker

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
There is a ring main that serves the down stairs sockets. A garage socket is powered by coming straight into the board and into a break that already has 2 wires in for the down ring. So there are 3 lines coming from this breaker not two that there should be for a ring main. Am I being over the top but should I disconnect the garage socket and break into the ring and spur off that or is the current layout fine ? I think I should disconnect the garage socket and reconnect by breaking into the ring. 

A spur can occur at any point in a ring, including at the fuseboard.

That said If there s a spare way in the board I'd put the garage on its own breaker .

Ok that’s good to know. There’s isn’t a spare way . They want an extra socket in the garage so I guess it’s best to replace the existing socket in the garage with a fused spur and then put two sockets after it. 

Ok that’s good to know. There’s isn’t a spare way . They want an extra socket in the garage so I guess it’s best to replace the existing socket in the garage with a fused spur and then put two sockets after it. 

Sounds like a sensible plan.

I'm assuming RCD protection and earthing and bonding are up to scratch.

A spur can occur at any point in a ring, including at the fuseboard.

That said If there s a spare way in the board I'd put the garage on its own breaker .

wire it to a new MCB and its a new circuit and needs EIC and notified for part P... wire it to an existing circuit and MWC with no notification needed...

to a new MCB that wasnt previous there with a circuit already connected to it then yes, it would be a new circuit. add to an existing circuit and its not
I did a Cu change on Wednesday - C4 60898 16 A was connected to the immersion and a 9.5kw shower - which unsurprisingly had been tripping the breaker

so I separated the 2 existing cables onto suitable RCBOs - part p covered the new fuseboard ....