Power to separate garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colly

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of guidance as to where to start on a project. I've just moved into a new property where my house is an end terrace and my garage is on a separate block at the other end of the terrace (about 40m away). Currently there is no power to the garage block.

I have a Tesla and whilst I can charge it elsewhere, I'd love to be able to get power to the garage to be able to charge at home. Assuming running an extension cable across other people's rooftops / gardens is out of the question... does anyone know where'd I'd start investigating how to get power to the garage?

Many thanks.

You are going to have a huge problem with this.  Almost certainly you are going to have to run a cable across lots of different people's land to achieve this and you will need permission from all of them.

It might be simpler to ask your DNO for a price to connect a new supply to the garage.  It is likely they have a cable nearby and could do so without crossing so many different people;s land and in any event they have people to deal with the necessary wayleaves.

It would mean you having two electricity bills which means 2 standing charges though.  but at least you would know how much you are spending charging the car vs running the house.

As above, by the time you've factored in hassle, the installation of and the size of the cable you'd need for a car charger of any decent power 40m away (the actual cable will be longer than the line of sight distance) it may well be cheaper and definitely easier to get a new supply put in. 

It's a bit out of my knowledge field but you should notify/get permission of the DNO for an EV charge install anyway.

A new supply will be TN-C-S and that opens up other issues with EV chargers, equally out of my knowledge scope.

May well just be easier to keep charging it wherever you already do. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts