HMRC Gateway site

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent 2 hours this afternoon  trying to prove I am who I say I am  . This however proved to be impossible .  I was directed to two different companies who  prove I am me .  One is the Post Office   :C

The Post Office couldn't decide who Iwas .

So I went on the 2nd option Digidenty  which finally decided I was me but when clicking to continue it changed it's mind and I gave up .  

Three problems for them  I think  ...    I have no passport .... my phone won't accept their app  ...not smart enough ..... as far as I know I have no credit rating , never having borrowed any . 

Not sure what to do now .  

I'm now wondering who the hell am I ......perhaps its all a dream and none of us are actually here .  

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had a problem, not needed a passport, or some digery doo website to prove who I am.

And all my phone has to do is receive a one time passcode by text message.

Are you sure you are not on a dodgy spoof site?

I would ring HMRC
I did that last year for some reason  ..it cost a fortune  on BT  

Forgot to mention ......the Post Office identity check  , halfway through , informed me that  my cellphone was a Nokia 1  and not compatible with their app .

How did they know  its a Nokia 1 ?     

Phone contract  EE  

HMRC website  the  top selection on the HMRC  page 

I can access the top bit with my email & password  but thats for VAT   ...I de-registered for that , no mention of self assessment .  

So how have you filed your tax returns you must have a UTR and an NI number.

Although from past experience of someone else using my wifes NI number your NI number can be part of an elaborate identity fraud and it is very time consuming, costly and difficult to prove you are the legitimate owner of that NI number, at times my wife felt like she was the guilty party

I found to do a tax return on line (I used to fill in a paper one but no longer an option) you have to request access to the tax returns section, and then wait for a letter in the post to arrive with an access code to enable that.

Do you have a copy of your tax return? That should have your info and / or get the information from your accountant 
Yes I should be OK with that .    I need to include my wife's unused tax  allowance too  which usually puts me in the not paying tax level .   Turnover is very low anyway now.   Could do with a reduction in the CPS fee  these days .  

Yes I should be OK with that .    I need to include my wife's unused tax  allowance too  which usually puts me in the not paying tax level .   Turnover is very low anyway now.   Could do with a reduction in the CPS fee  these days .  
That's called the Marriage allowance.

Not one of the best implemented things on the hmrc website.

We did that a while ago when SWMBO earned less than the tac threshold.  When her earnings changed and it was no longer beneficial to do that, it turned out to be a pain to cancell it, we just could not do it on line and had to spend about an hour in a phone queue to get to speak to someone who was able to cancel it.