When do the 28 days start?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my visits today was to a flat where the landlord has been presented with an Unsatisfactory EICR - whether its Unsatisfactory is another story

But the Landlord received the EICR 9 days after the report was done - so when does the 28 days start?

28 days from the report?

28 days from when the Landlord receives the report?

My crystal ball sees this fiasco getting worse before it gets better😂😂😂

I'd say 28 days from the date of the report but then there must be some provision for the landlord to receive it on that date, he could receive it 28 days after the report, landlord can only be liable once notified surely.

Every time I think it can't get any worse, there is something else added to the shambles 😁

Legally if it was posted then it would be from postage date, 

if via a letting agent then who knows?!

Day 1 Spark does inspection 

Day 9 Agent sends report by email to landlord

When does the 28 day rule start?

I'd say its from receipt by the landlord ...............

But if its from the day of the report and the Spark doesn't send it and then the Agent doesn't send it on ................. the Landlord might end up with little or no time to get competitive quotes

So it'll be another case of mis-selling in a few months / years

Last edited by a moderator:
So the spark and the agent can "sit" on the report for 27 days then?

they could if they wanted to...

(4) Where a report under sub-paragraph (3)(a) indicates that a private landlord is or is potentially in breach of the duty under sub-paragraph (1)(a) and the report requires the private landlord to undertake further investigative or remedial work, the private landlord must ensure that further investigative or remedial work is carried out by a qualified person within—

(a)28 days; or

(b)the period specified in the report if less than 28 days,

starting with the date of the inspection and testing.

One of my visits today was to a flat where the landlord has been presented with an Unsatisfactory EICR - whether its Unsatisfactory is another story

But the Landlord received the EICR 9 days after the report was done - so when does the 28 days start?

28 days from the report?

28 days from when the Landlord receives the report?

My crystal ball sees this fiasco getting worse before it gets better😂😂😂
I have just finally made an account on here! I did an EICR/Remdials Quote for local council and one Tenant never emailed to do remedial work.

Tenants pay for remdials direct (shops)

1 year later after countless emails he accepted my quote and breakdown of quote later required. I informed he would pay retest in email!

I was sent the remedial money and no retest or re issue of certificate for MI cable install 🥴