Circuit fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adambull

Reaction score
I recently replaced a light and I was fixing it back up the live cable (that was with the light) got caught  the light is a metal one and ended up tripping the breaker (obviously). When I reset the rcd and switch the breaker back on no power seems t come through. I thought the breaker must have blown but I took that circuit out and put another circuit in and it worked fine so the breaker isn’t the problem. What could the problem be? 

I imagine that you don't understand the sorts of currents that can flow during a dead-short 'live to neutral' or 'live to earth'?

And that you probably don't have any correct test equipment?

As assuming an MCB, 'that has just done exactly what it is designed to do', is faulty, isn't my first logical step..

and the MCB can be checked very quickly and easily with an approved voltage tester.

Swapping circuits/mcb's is not the way to test or identify faults..  

There are various possibilities that would need correct testing to identify the exact cause..

It's connected wrong..

Cables, (e.g. joint in j/box), damaged elsewhere due to high fault current melting/welding something..

Switch damaged elsewhere due to high fault current melting/welding something..

etc..

If you have no test equipment to do correct dead testing prior to re energising the circuit,

then you probably need to employ someone who does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it a permanent live, or switched-live, that was shorted out to earth? If it was the switched live you may have just burned out the internals to the switch.

Doc H.

It was the switch live. Would that make the rest of the circuit not come on though? Or could it be that the bulbs just all blew with the surge?