Daft, stupid, unbelievable or just plain wrong EICR codings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meter tails undersized - C2 ( but main fuse 60a and tails are 16mm)

non ip rated lights in bathroom - C2 ( but both out of zones)

plastic fuseboard - C2 ( just nonsense)

not enough sockets C2

no smoke detection C1
I've always been baffled by some Spark,s  penchant  for becoming a policeman , Clerk of Works  or architects .  

Not enough sockets in a room  is nothing to do with  doing an EICR  .

Whether there are smoke detectors fitted or not is not within the remit of an electrician .   In my opinion .       I'd say the householder  or landlord  should be taking on that responsibility .    

Firm that carried out an EICR on a pub , we did some remedial work there following the report , they were correct about the boards needing upgrading  but some of the other stuff beefed it out to many pages  , trying to create work . 

Example :    Downlight over small bar  has no lamp  .   :C  

Last edited by a moderator:
no smoke detection C1

Can't remember the codes used, but definitely seen a   "No Smoke Detector" comment before now...

Think I did see a "No extractor fan fitted in bathroom" as well !!!

Still trying to work out how wiring that is not there, can be electrically unsafe or dangerous???

But I am more often amazed at the test results schedule showing impossible values....

RCD trip times..  For RCD's that do not exist !!!

Ring continuity values for Radials...

R1+R2's for circuits with no CPC!!!

Dunno why but I do tend think think they are written in the office following a "Drive-By"

:shakehead :popcorn :pmsl1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether there are smoke detectors fitted or not is not within the remit of an electrician .   In my opinion .       I'd say the householder  or landlord  should be taking on that responsibility .    

If the smokes are mains powered, and are out of date I would code them as C2 as they need replacing - whether this is correct is maybe open to debate but  I think we in such cases have a responsibility to check them. I tend to check the date on them and add a note to the EICR as most people don't realise they need to be replaced.

Last week I did an EICR - the smokes were battery, but there was a dedicated smoke alarm circuit - so I tested it properly and noted that the smokes were battery powered

I don't have a problem with a SMOKE detector having a "replace by" date, as the sensor has a finite life.

But heat detectors also having a replace by date is the manufacturers taking the P / cashing in.  the sensor is a thermistor and no reason why that should wear out and need replacing.  So i ignore the replace by date on a heat detector.

Maybe make a non coded comment in the observations about the lack of smokes if you really want it in writing that there aren't any but well out of the scope of an EICR.

No harmonisation label - C1

This was a subcontractor who did the work when I told the project manager I would do the EICRs and he wondered why I kicked off. Glad I'm not working at that place anymore.

gob smacked

these labels aren’t even necessary imho
I forgot to add, it didn't need one, was in all new colours.

I can see the need in a domestic situation where the homeowner may not be aware but in commercial jobs they seem a bit pointless. Will one small sticker on a 2kA intake board that I don't have access to make a difference? 

But they could come across mixed wiring when swapping socket fronts etc that have had spurs added...
So....2 reds and a brown in one terminal with a L on it

2 blacks and a blue in the others terminal with a N on it

if they cant remeber this connection between taking the old one off and fitting the new one then Mr Darwin needs to call 😂😂😂😂😂💥

Dropped our daughter back to uni today.

House has a new EICR, plastic CU, not mentioned 😀

however, 1 circuit on the board is labelled unknown and the EICR doesn’t even mention it😦

if they cant remeber this connection between taking the old one off and fitting the new one then Mr Darwin needs to call 😂😂😂😂😂💥
And how many posts on another forum such as I've changed my light and now it doesn't work/stays on/goes bang... 😂😂

I don't have a problem with a SMOKE detector having a "replace by" date, as the sensor has a finite life.

But heat detectors also having a replace by date is the manufacturers taking the P / cashing in.  the sensor is a thermistor and no reason why that should wear out and need replacing.  So i ignore the replace by date on a heat detector.
You have a bit of a simplistic approach to the function and construction of a heat detector

What about the internal rechargeable battery do they not have a finite life and need replacing!?. There could also be calibration issues that due to the detector cost does not make recalibration a viable cost option on a 10 year old detector