16A Fused Connection Unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonco

Reaction score
Hello, 

Looking for advice on the neatest way of resolving this problem. I have recently had a motorised sun awning with an integral electric heater fitted. Unfortunately the heater output is not high enough and we need to install a second heater unit. 

The system is fed from an internal wall socket with a standard 13amp plug - cable then runs up an internal wall channel, through the wall to a concealed external junction box (IP44 rated). House has old style wired fuse box - no MCB.

I have measured the loading as ~1.5amp for the drive motor and ~6.5 amp for the single heater. Max load with second heater would therefore be 14.5amp. Manufacturer states 2nd heater can be added on a 16amp fused supply. 

I can install a switched spur off the existing wall socket but need advice on 16amp protection which I would like to conceal from view. 

Suggestions welcome please.

You cannot get 16 amp fused connection units, maximum is 13 amp.

The supplier may mean a 16 amp circuit fed directly from your consumer unit. This could potentially be either connected via a commando plug or hard wired. It is not advisable to run heavy loads from an existing ring final circuit as this can create uneven loading on the cables and risk overheating etc

Do you have a link for the heater/awning?

Assuming the awning is outdoors, and from your description of your fuse box I would advise incorporating an RCD (Residual current device) in the circuit.

This could be  at your fuseboard if you are having a new circuit, (in fact no spark would install one without), or as a spur unit, a plug in adaptor or a plug. Whichever, it could save your life for just a few ££.

Regarding the current rating, as the opening and closing motor is presumably an infrequent  load you could get away with a 13 amp circuit.

Assuming the awning is outdoors, and from your description of your fuse box I would advise incorporating an RCD (Residual current device) in the circuit.

This could be  at your fuseboard if you are having a new circuit, (in fact no spark would install one without), or as a spur unit, a plug in adaptor or a plug. Whichever, it could save your life for just a few ££.

Regarding the current rating, as the opening and closing motor is presumably an infrequent  load you could get away with a 13 amp circuit.

Thanks Geoff,

Take you safety points onboard. New circuit would be difficult due to distance from incomer and location of awning.

I did wonder whether I could get away with the 13amp for the reasons you state. I'll do some searching as to what plug in's are available.