Changing cord of multi-plug extension with a "flat" cord

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33188

Reaction score
Hello, as I have made a desk fixing a piece of wood in a niche in the wall, and I have a gap between the wood and the wall which is not quite wide enough for a 7-8mm cord to pass, I would like to change the cord of my surge-protected 3-plug extension with a "flatter" cord like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-16mm-Brown-Blue-Twin-Earth-T-E-6242B-Flat-LSZH-Power-Lighting-Cable/162945550726?_trkparms=aid%3D555021%26algo%3DPL.SIMRVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225075%26meid%3Db8cdfa45a6b04b15b175362ddea1f80a%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D124318133364%26itm%3D162945550726%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplRVIAMLv5WebWithPLRVIOnTopCombiner&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

I am assuming that a flat, earthed cable like this one is no different from the thick 7-8mm one I currently have, the only difference is that the wires are placed side by side so it can be flatter in shape. Am I correct in my assumption or am I risking an electrical fault? The multi-plug extension would only take a laptop pc, a small table lamp with a low-power led bulb and a small printer. The table top is very well fixed to the wall so there is no movement that could squeeze the gap and thus ruin the cable or its insulation.

Thank you for your help.

I would advise you to drill a hole to suit the existing flex. The link doesn't work but if I read the detail right you are looking at large house wiring cable, not suitable for connecting portable equipment.

I see, thank you. Yes sorry I did not enter the link correctly, it's this: White 16mm Brown Blue Twin & Earth (T&E) 6242B Flat LSZH Power & Lighting Cable

This is not the one I would buy actually, they have a similar one in the hardware store near home, but I understand, thank you for your help!

Actually, since the person who owns the hardware store claims the one they have would work, is there anything that I should look for to be able to tell whether it is suitable or not? Thank you

It's solid cores, not multi stranded like flexible wire is. The equivalent size would be 1.5mm, but it's semi rigid, meant for permanent installation where it is then undisturbed.

If used as flex it would be liable to breaking internally and becoming a fire hazard. 

It would also be difficult or impossible to make a good job of terminating it in the 13amp plug and probably into the extension too.

If you bodge it together yes it will work but its really not a safe or sensible thing to do.  I'm not aware of a flat 3 core flex.

Sorry, but what's the problem with simply making a hole big enough for the proper flex?

No problem really, I just wanted to preserve the table top for possible future use as a kitchen table top or something, as it was a bit expensive. But thanks for the explanation, that clarifies things and of course I will modify the table top instead. Cheers