Hot tub isolation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayJayUK

Reaction score
Hi there folks,

I have a question please regarding Hot Tubs and electrical isolation.

We recently moved where a hot tub is installed in the garden, and has a consumer unit 5 or 6 meters away from it, with 16A RCBO protecting the circuit.

I have seen people say a rotary isolation switch is required on  a hit tub, for maintenance etc.. but given that a consumer unit is so close is this still required here? or should I look to get one installed?

Many thanks for advice.

My advice would be to get a local spark to check the installation and advise you ....but fwiw I would advise a proper DP isolator and I suspect that the MIs would state they are required 

Hi,

Thanks for reply

It's a Wylex NHXS1B16

Places like Screwfix label this as DP,  but others 1+N. 

they are switched neutral but not double pole (in that the netral isnt monitored for fault / overload)

I see,  thanks

There is a Double Pole type S time delay 100ma main switch in that consumer unit though, presumably to address this? (Wylex WRMT100/2)

The house is labelled PME, but the earth isn't exported.

The garden has TT earth with 2 x 2.4m earth poles around 15m apart

I don't really want to be forking out loads of money to get everything changed, unless there is a glaring issue with it, it's been here for years without issue up til now

I see,  thanks

There is a Double Pole type S time delay 100ma main switch in that consumer unit though, presumably to address this? (Wylex WRMT100/2)

The house is labelled PME, but the earth isn't exported.

The garden has TT earth with 2 x 2.4m earth poles around 15m apart

I don't really want to be forking out loads of money to get everything changed, unless there is a glaring issue with it, it's been here for years without issue up til now

So on the one hand you are talking about the supply to this tub being only 5m from the CU...

and now you are talking about the garden having its own TT earth arrangement..

SO..  this CU is not the main house supply CU..?

just the garden supply (inc hot tub) ?

If yes then IMHO.. as you say the main D/P switch on the "Garden CU" can be used to isolate for any maintenance if required if someone considers that the RCBO is not enough.

You have a 13A tub via a 16A/30ma RCBO then a 100ma td RCD main switch...

all from a sub-main from the main house CU presumably?

Guinness

So on the one hand you are talking about the supply to this tub being only 5m from the CU...

and now you are talking about the garden having its own TT earth arrangement..

SO..  this CU is not the main house supply CU..?

just the garden supply (inc hot tub) ?

If yes then IMHO.. as you say the main D/P switch on the "Garden CU" can be used to isolate for any maintenance if required if someone considers that the RCBO is not enough.

You have a 13A tub via a 16A/30ma RCBO then a 100ma td RCD main switch...

all from a sub-main from the main house CU presumably?

Guinness
I see the confusion. Apologies i wasn't quite clear enough here.

There is a CU at the end of the garden 5m away from the Hot Tub.

yes its supplied from the house CU via SWA

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the confusion. Apologies i wasn't quite clear enough here.

There is a CU at the end of the garden 5m away from the Hot Tub.

yes its supplied from the house CU via SWA

So I can't see any problem....

In the event of a fault you have two RCD's (one time delayed) and a 16A RCBO

(and I assume a 13A cartridge fuse, if plug top or fused spur).

In the event of maintenance you can just switch off the garden CU without risking losing power to any essential services in the house..

Guinness