Is this even option....shoot me if not

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS79

Reaction score
Got job woman wants sockets over other side of room only available socket to come from has radiator to side of it and hot water pipes underneath which are going to be run in slotted skirting. Other than chasing up and round the radiator which obviously means not within safe zones only other option I see is using some sort of heat resistant butyl cable to run cables with pipework could this possibly be an option or any others?  Cheers 

What height is the socket? Wouldn’t even consider running with pipes. 

About the standard 450 Sharpend. Thing is just can't see any other solution. With the radiator there and new skirting below it haven't even got option of running some trunking which she is pretty adamant she doesnt want anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe walk away ................ sometimes for the best

I usually world Murdoch quite a few other works there though including a board change. I think only option is to chase slightly behind the radiator mounts and chase all the way round the room. Will be able to keep it just above the skirting so will be within the 300mm required. I quote for this anyway and see if she takes it. Out of curiosity Murdoch if not for the hot water pipes in slotted skirting would you be happy to run it in this. I think some people would take issue with this because of chance of cables getting nipped by chippies when fixing it. I think personally though I would be pretty comfortable with as falls within our safe zones and on rcd?

If she doesn’t want trunking then you have to give her the options of what you need to do to achieve it and leave it in her hands to decide. 
remove radiator and chase across, make sure missing screw fixing holes obviously. Make good. ?? 
I think only option Sharpend and see if she takes it. Think I should be able to chase small slot behind radiator fixings they are on a spur so only 1.5mm needed

I’m confused where is the existing socket and radiator in relation to new location? I wouldn’t chase all way around room horizontally, also how did we get 300mm? If socket is at 450mm. 

I’m confused where is the existing socket and radiator in relation to new location? I wouldn’t chase all way around room horizontally, also how did we get 300mm? If socket is at 450mm. 
The existing socket is on the adjoining wall. Between this socket is the radiator. I would take cable down from the socket so hopefully within the 300mm and chase above skirting round to new location 

If there isn't a socket on a wall there is no safe zone, except in the corners and by the ceiling

Ok sorry I got this wrong I thought there was a safe zone at low level and was 300mm. There isn't and is only 150mm anyway 

I'd say you have one  option open .....remove radiator ,  chase out horizontally from side of existing socket at 450mm   to new position ..             make good....  replace radiator .  

I'd say you have one  option open .....remove radiator ,  chase out horizontally from side of existing socket at 450mm   to new position ..             make good....  replace radiator .  
Thanks Evans that's what I'll quote for looks like only option I have

I am confused.  I read "socket is behind radiator" as it's in anotther room, i.e on the other side of the wall to the radiator.

In which case I would chase along that wall in the other room and then through the wall to the new socket.

Or have I completely miss understood?

"socket is behind radiator" as it's in anotther room, i.e on the other side of the wall to the radiator.
These things come with age Dave  ...don't worry , just sit quietly for a few minutes , happens to me all the time   :innocent

I imagined the same room , socket wanted on other side of rad ,   presume its a solid floor  so trunking or chasing out in line with the socket . 

These things come with age Dave  ...don't worry , just sit quietly for a few minutes , happens to me all the time   :innocent

I imagined the same room , socket wanted on other side of rad ,   presume its a solid floor  so trunking or chasing out in line with the socket . 
Lol reassuring to hear Evans. Coming upto first full year self employed now. Spent more time in evenings trying to find solutions to jobs than actually on them I think 😄 bloody maze trying to plan works and stick within regs at times and still miss the obvious. All good though suppose each year goes by make a few less howlers.