ElectricSpecs

Your thoughts on EICR

pewter

Without been able to see the detail ....

1- could it be rectified with a tube of Intumastic fire stop gear. The blank could be made good or add an MCB and remove the blank. 

2- I don’t code plastic consumer units C2..... though some do and raises a discussion. mentions hole in the back which could be sealed with more intumastic. I would C3. 

3- is this to do with the rating of the RCD not been 100A,  I would C3

4- it says fault protection society is it a TT system, if not then it is additional protection.  Is this regarding only 1 RCD, or 2 RCDs sin series.  Either way I wouldn’t C2. 

5-depending what cable he is referring to, could a clip/cleet/gland be added to rectify it. 

this is me guessing what the issues are, and what was raised. 

could you approach him and say budget is tight can it be rectified.  

It looks like it would benefit from been upgraded, but I wonder if the C2 points raised could be rectified for £50. 

ElectricSpecs
14 hours ago, Murdoch said:

The "south coast" is a VERY big place - can you be more specific

west sussex

ElectricSpecs
6 hours ago, pewter said:

Without been able to see the detail ....

1- could it be rectified with a tube of Intumastic fire stop gear. The blank could be made good or add an MCB and remove the blank. 

2- I don’t code plastic consumer units C2..... though some do and raises a discussion. mentions hole in the back which could be sealed with more intumastic. I would C3. 

3- is this to do with the rating of the RCD not been 100A,  I would C3

4- it says fault protection society is it a TT system, if not then it is additional protection.  Is this regarding only 1 RCD, or 2 RCDs sin series.  Either way I wouldn’t C2. 

5-depending what cable he is referring to, could a clip/cleet/gland be added to rectify it. 

this is me guessing what the issues are, and what was raised. 

could you approach him and say budget is tight can it be rectified.  

It looks like it would benefit from been upgraded, but I wonder if the C2 points raised could be rectified for £50. 

1. Sounds good.

2. The guide that Murdoch referred me to  - https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/media/2149/bpg4-1.pdf makes it pretty clear that it's a C2.

3. The BS code number referenced appears to relate to overload protection

4. Not sure what TT means, I understand it has a single RCD.

5. Yes I presume existing cables would be reused so it would be the same process whether to a new or existing CU i would think

ALready told him budget was tight, get the impression he's not interested in anything other than fitting a brand new CU.

If it can be upgraded to pass then that would be a substantial saving and keep some monry in the kitty for the next test when perhaps it will need replacing if they keep upping the standards. Shame that I dont suppose you work down this way?

Murdoch
22 minutes ago, ElectricSpecs said:

1. Sounds good.

2. The guide that Murdoch referred me to  - https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/media/2149/bpg4-1.pdf makes it pretty clear that it's a C2.

3. The BS code number referenced appears to relate to overload protection

4. Not sure what TT means, I understand it has a single RCD.

5. Yes I presume existing cables would be reused so it would be the same process whether to a new or existing CU i would think

ALready told him budget was tight, get the impression he's not interested in anything other than fitting a brand new CU.

If it can be upgraded to pass then that would be a substantial saving and keep some monry in the kitty for the next test when perhaps it will need replacing if they keep upping the standards. Shame that I dont suppose you work down this way?

sounds like your spark doesn’t understand the finer details of doing EICRs

2. it’s not a C2

Edited by Murdoch

pewter

most things can be rectified, sometimes the money is better spent upgrading.

Sounds like he just isnt interested in upgrading it then.......

WIth the failed sheet you could try and find someone that can price to rectify and suply an EICR with a satisfactory result.

would want to compare that to having the consumer unit changed.

i am miles out of the way, i usually only work within a 5 mile radius at most.

ElectricSpecs

Just wanted to loop back with an update in case anyine reading it wondered what happend.

Using the guide that Murdoch referred me to I was able to get the original electrician to revise his findings and the result was that the only C2 remaining was the IP rating one which I have been able to get remedied for a small cost. This saved an unecessary upgrade and several hundred pounds so thanks for all your help guys!

Sharpend

Great feedback, glad it went well for you. 

Murdoch
6 hours ago, ElectricSpecs said:

Just wanted to loop back with an update in case anyine reading it wondered what happend.

Using the guide that Murdoch referred me to I was able to get the original electrician to revise his findings and the result was that the only C2 remaining was the IP rating one which I have been able to get remedied for a small cost. This saved an unecessary upgrade and several hundred pounds so thanks for all your help guys!

Well done .......... whats scary is the amount of sparks incorrectly coding issues and thus landlords are paying for work that isn't necessary ......

Lettings agencies seem to be "driving" this by forcing landlords to get EICR's done - specifically today, a customer told me that their Lettings Agency told them they have 30 day to get an EICR done OR they will instruct "their" electrician to do it. The tenancy isn't renewing until April '21 so the Landlord has until the 31st March to get it done

Seems to me the gravy train has a few passengers on it.

I keep referring Landlords to the Best Practice guide - but make sure its the one dated July 2020

hardesbvcerd

I can say from personal experience that getting a good EICR score is a headache.

Murdoch
2 minutes ago, hardesbvcerd said:

I can say from personal experience that getting a good EICR score is a headache.

What do you mean by "score"?

Sharpend
53 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

What do you mean by "score"?

Is there now a league and table for EICR’s? 

Doc Hudson
1 hour ago, hardesbvcerd said:

That may be because EICR’s do not have any scores. Rather just a Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory for continued use evaluation, based on various observations.

Doc H

ProDave

Looks like a junk member making a random post for some reason. One to watch.

kerching

Well i think in these politically correct times an EICR is BINARY

Also you will find that one in seven dwarves are grumpy

Phoenix

I read it is as "Getting a decent EICR done sure is a headache"

Murdoch
20 hours ago, Sharpend said:

Is there now a league and table for EICR’s? 

now that would be fun - so being top of the league would be for what - carp EICR's? thorough EICR's lowest price? most profit?

Just imagine the shambles .........

As it stands there are too many people doing sub £100 EICR's that are not worth the paper its written or printed on

Been to a client today - they were quoted £300 for the EICR, which became a £600+ because their quote was for 10 circuits .......... 

Sharpend

Maybe 3points good EICR + Low price 2points good EICR +high price

1point poor EICR + low price. 

national/regional advertisement on tv and newspapers to the winner. 
regional only for second 

free newspaper advert to third
equally a write up on the lowest three national and regional basis

???