EV Charging points

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a long standing customer who is  looking at  forming extra parking on his front .        He is looking at having  three  , yes three  , EV chargers  .    

Looking at the Reg.   no diversity is allowed .   On the face of it ,  worst case scenario ,  could be looking  3 X  30A  supplies    .   Three vehicles arrive home  at 5.00  , plug in , 90A  !!!   

He,s thinking in terms of  2 X  EVs   himself & wife  then a possible visitor .  Kids not old enough to drive  yet .      DNO fused at  80A    &   poor Earth from cable sheath.  Looking at options ,  perhaps restrict to  3 X  16A  EV chargers  .  Or  1 X 30A   &  2 X 16A    .   Or  create a sub- main  to a separate board  with an MCB limiting current  to  50A   .        Any thoughts  ?   

Image020 (7).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't spend any time designing or evaluating a multiple EV charging supply for a domestic property..

without some assurance from the relevant DNO/Supply company that it stands half a gnats whisker of being feasible!

What happens if the two properties next door and the the one over the road also want 3x EV's?

:C  

What happens if the two properties next door and the the one over the road also want 3x EV's?
Not sure thats my problem  Specs    but its a good point .     Its a well to do area so every house  has at least  four cars  , although there is no  ..." over the road "  .  

Is there a requirement to approach the DNO  before installing EV chargers ?   I understood they were to be notified  ...not sure by whom though .   

Is there a requirement to approach the DNO  before installing EV chargers ?   I understood they were to be notified  ...not sure by whom though .   

Just tell him he can have 1 x 32a charger or 2 x 16a chargers

But not any more than 32a total

I thought I'd read somewhere that EV greater than 32A needs some sort of notification to the DNO..?

but can't remember where..  so maybe not?

But I can see the logic that DNO's would want a reasonable idea of additional demand..

There is a registration/notification thing to claim back some grants..

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/government-grants-for-low-emission-vehicles

But that means you need to register for ANOTHER gravy train...

https://forms.dft.gov.uk/olev-authorised-installer-application/

:C