C&G 2330 / Test & Inspection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the back of the other threads re EICRs in rentals, the Wow, wow, wow thread etc I thought I'd throw this out there.

On the .gov site it says in the guide for landlords:

The electrical safety industry has established competent person schemes. Membership of these will not be compulsory to ensure there is no further pressure placed on the industry, nor undue burden placed on inspectors and testers.

When commissioning an inspection, in order to establish if a person is qualified and competent landlords can:

check if the inspector is a member of a competent person scheme; or

require the inspector to sign a checklist certifying their competence, including their experience, whether they have adequate insurance and hold a qualification covering the current version of the Wiring Regulations and the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations.

As I say, just throwing it out there but on the question of competency would the imspection and testing element of the 2330 tick a box for this rather than the 2391? It emcompasses all the GN3 testing procedures. I'd say I'm competent, have experience and hold the 18th cert. One random though is I did the 2330 at the time the 17th was in place. Extract from all my 2330 paperwork below.

It'd be much easier if "they" said you MUST have the 2391 etc. The bold text aboove taken off the web site is imo pretty badly written and just confusing.

(I'm not about to go out and do landlord's testing and inspecting btw, don't hold insurance and so on).

tai.JPG

or 2394 + 2395  which is what i took, and then they changed it back to 2391/-2  i think, prior to 2394/5 was it 2391/2

think i have a 2392, 2394, 2395, 2396

is there a 2397, 2398, 2399 so i could get a full run, i have 2330 also, what fills the gaps from 2330 - 2396

I agree with you that inspection and testing is covered in the 2330, it was in mine and this may be sufficient to make you qualified and competent to carry out an EICR but it is the last line in the paragraph you've quoted that suggests to me they think you need the full 2391.

"hold a qualification covering the current version of the Wiring Regulations and the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations." 

Like everything to do with the electric regulations it is open to interpretation, and in my mind it should read periodic inspection and testing of electrical installations. What do they mean by certification, certification doesn't really exist in this context as you are reporting, it is an EICR. Initial verification relates to certification, EIC, minor works.

It's only when in is tested in court that anything definitive can be drawn from it.

The 2391 goes into far more detail than the 2330 module on inspection and testing so without the full 2391 it could be said you were missing the qualification part or were under qualified, although you could still be more than competent to carry out an EICR.

2391 / 2394/5     goes into far more detail then 2330. I think should have 2391 or 4/5 to do an EICR

I did, but then again that was 2004 and a 4.5 day course... basically 3.5 days classroom.. 1/2 day for the written exam and another 1/2 day for the practical

My then c*** of a governor was particularly dismissive of training and anyone bettering themselves. His theory was if he supported/paid for training he'd lose staff once they had bettered themselves. As an apprenticed mechanical and production engineer my industry ended up going more and more "electrified" so I decided to go back to college as a mature student to get some formal training for what I'd been doing anyway for years. I'd been the mechanical half of a pair of engineers for years with my other half (not in that way) sparks teaching me more than I ever learnt at college subsequently. I owe him a lot. He was happy to give/teach and I was willing and wanting to learn.

I thus paid for my EAL, 2330 and 17th out of my own pocket and in the case of the 2330 used holiday for daytime exams (funnily enough the test and inspection component) at college. Ditto the then 4 day 17th. The to$$er was never shy though at pointing other engineers towards me for (electrical) help. 

Now I think I should have jumped years ago when my (now barrister) brother could have gotten me into the civil service as a pen pusher! 😂

At least my new governor seems to recognise the importance of training. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My then c*** of a governor was particularly dismissive of training and anyone bettering themselves. His theory was if he supported/paid for training he'd lose staff once they had bettered themselves. As an apprenticed mechanical and production engineer my industry ended up going more and more "electrified" so I decided to go back to college as a mature student to get some formal training for what I'd been doing anyway for years. I'd been the mechanical half of a pair of engineers for years with my other half (not in that way) sparks teaching me more than I ever learnt at college subsequently. I owe him a lot. He was happy to give/teach and I was willing and wanting to learn.

I thus paid for my EAL, 2330 and 17th out of my own pocket and in the case of the 2330 used holiday for daytime exams (funnily enough the test and inspection component) at college. Ditto the then 4 day 17th. The to$$er was never shy though at pointing other engineers towards me for (electrical) help. 

Now I think I should have jumped years ago when my (now barrister) brother could have gotten me into the civil service as a pen pusher! 😂

At least my new governor seems to recognise the importance of training
My wife’s the same, if I can learn it she ain’t got to pay for it! 

I did, but then again that was 2004 and a 4.5 day course... basically 3.5 days classroom.. 1/2 day for the written exam and another 1/2 day for the practical

I passed my 2391 back in May 2000...

That was a 10 week evening course at the local college..

plus the two exams. 

:coffee

I passed my 2391 back in May 2000...

That was a 10 week evening course at the local college..

plus the two exams. 

:coffee

I had the opportunity of the 10/12 week evening course run by Jon Elliot I think it was. Name was/is in the front of the regs. Too damn expensive at the time.