My First Flood Light Replacement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R1K

Reaction score
Hi 

I have a halogen flood light on the front exterior wall overlooking the drive that hasn't been working since we moved in.

It's wired directly to a switch in the front box room through the wall. I can confirm there is power from the switch to the light and the original bulb doesn't look damaged, replaced anyway and is still not working. 

The light is a small 10W (i think) which I want to replace for an LED one. 

I have bought the new LED light (10W) and it has a wire ready to connect something to it, how should I best make the connection to the existing cable from the switch ? (ideally without having to a put waterproof box junction on the front exterior wall of my house and without having to drill anything new) Can I do a straight through connection to the light by disconnecting the wiring already attached to the new light. 

Hope this makes sense, let me know if any other info is required. 

Thanks in advance....

There are some LED floodlights on the market where you can attach your own cable - BUT unless the existing cable is round the gland/ seal on the new LED won't be effective and water will get in quickly

My advice to you is to buy a LED floodlight with a cable supplied, with a 3 year warranty AND an IP enclosure ........

Same as Kerch said .      Fix a Wiska box by the flood .  if there is flat twin /earth cable going out to the flood  ,  wrap some black tape around it , make a slit in the Wiska box membrane  ,  as Kerch says , in the bottom ,  and push it through .  fit a stuffing gland for the  floodlight  flex.   

Is the new light made from metal or plastic. The metal one should be connected to earth. 

Thought I would let you all know how I got on. See pics attached. 

I used a Schneider junction box - pierced the membrane and slotted the wire through. 

I changed the light for a 20W one, which I'm glad I did as it's just right for the size of drive and brightness isn't too much. 

Please let me know your thoughts, in case I may have done anything incorrectly or there are things I could improve on. 

Junction Box.jpg

Light.jpg

Overview.jpg

Well, in my opinion, a Wiska box would have been better as you can have two entries on the bottom edge. Water doesn't travel uphill very well BUT it can track sideways. I would ( at a push) be happy with the membranes being punctured on a bottom side, not sure about vertical though

how did you find the Brackenheath light?

Every time I searched for a wiska box with screwfix or toolstation nothing was really identifiable. I didn't think to look for 2 entries at the bottom. 

Will add add some waterproof sealant. 

The light bracket at the back is quite large, making the light stick out quite away from the wall. Other than that it's easy to secure and easy to configure settings. Very bright. 

Thanks everyone for the advice. 😁 Next job is a porch light. 

Every time I searched for a wiska box with screwfix or toolstation nothing was really identifiable. I didn't think to look for 2 entries at the bottom. 

The nearest equivalent to a Wiska box that Screwfix stock is something like...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ced-ip65-adaptable-box-80-x-80-x-52mm/14556

But if you'd done a google search, there are numerous other on-line suppliers who do stock Wiska boxes..

https://www.qvsdirect.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=wiska+boxes

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/search?query=wiska+box&Submit=Search

etc...

Guinness

For quality and price is it better to shop from electrical wholesalers ? Where do you recommend ? I've got a CEF around the corner. 

Quality is down to the products you choose...

And numerous products are available from multiple outlets e.g....

Screwfix/Toolstation/B&Q/CEF/numerous other online suppliers and/or local wholesalers...  etc..  etc..  may all stock the same product!

Price will often depend upon any promotional deals available..

or the quantity you are buying..

or if you are a regular customer buying significant amount of products each month..

or if you have a Trade account..

If you have an independent local wholesaler you may get better deals than CEF as a single one-off non-trade purchase...

Personally I would only use CEF as an absolute last resort...

But that is because they started invoicing me for materials I had not bought, many many years ago when I used to have a CEF trade account..

After twice having to complain about receiving "Overdue Payment" letters, for invoices they had wrongly charged to my account..

Plus hours of phone calls to resolve the problem..

I closed the account and stopped using them unless there was absolutely nowhere else to purchase something from...

( Instead of City Electrical Factors, they were frequently know as another word rhyming with City...  but spelt with an "Sh" in place of the "C"!!!!!!  )

The reality is that the same brand-name products, can be on-sale from multiple outlets, but the prices are not fixed and can fluctuate over time, up/down/back to where they originally were....

But the useful advantage of modern-day inter-web Googling, is that you can generally check current price and availability for either on-line delivery or click & collect..    

Personally I can't be bothered with walking into a Wholesaler to try & find costs & availability of any products... 

I haven't got time to waste queueing to check on costs, if I can get this information from other suppliers on my PC or phone! 

I am happy to pay a bit more for a product, if I don't have to waste time going to a physical outlet to check price/availability..

Guinness