EICR - RCD requirement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landlady

Reaction score
Hi everyone, some advice please.

Is an RCD a legal requirement for landlords. I understand that the EIC is undertaken against the 18th edition of wiring regulations. However, when I have read this the installation of an RCD is for new properties. Therefore,  If I have a plastic one, I would still expect the report to be satisfactory, showing this as an improvement, not remedial work. 

Many thanks

Hum .......... legal requirement is not really a term you can use.

I would say that RCD protection IS required for all socket circuits.

What exactly has the EICR coded as issues?

when I have read this the installation of an RCD is for new properties. Therefore,  If I have a plastic one,
Hi....can you expand on this bit about plastic please?

i think you may be confusing an RCD and possibly a consumer unit?

DONT PANIC...we will talk you through it correctly

In my humble opinion, as log as you have RCD protection for sockets then your electrical system is suitable for rental.

As for plastic boards, the decent makes were fire-retardent, which is the actual requirement rather than being metal - as long as they are checked over for any signs of thermal damage, again no issue in my opinion.

One pint that is missed by many landlords and ladies is the location of the board itself may require fire protection. EG in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs should have the board enclosed in a  fire retardent structure. I'm not sure f the exact details of the requirements as it keeps changing dependent on how many floors the building is, HMO status, other fire escape routes, and I haven't looked at this for a long time.