EICR's (again) daft information on the interweb

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I'd start this so we can publicise the absolute CARP that people are or have written about EICR codes on the internet:

So today this is a great example of a real FU:

"Examples of types of FI codes are:

use of unsheathed flex for lighting pendants

cable core colours complying with a previous edition of BS 7671

circuits that are not verified at the time of testing"

So FI means unsatisfactory - so EVERY installation with old colours is now deem unsatisfactory ????????????????????????? I don't think so

and the award for being muppets goes to:

https://www.infinity-energy.co.uk/guides/eicr-observation-codes-explained/

Last edited by a moderator:
not wanting to state the obvious, but if you can see the colours are to a previous version, then WTGrape else is to 'further investigate' to determine that 'yep, its old colours'? do you need to go back with a RAL chart just to make sure?

just looked and they cant even get the classifications right. its FI, further investigation. F1 is something to do with people racing around in cars

and it gets better

C2 for 'a metallic pipe being used for gases or flammable liquids'. erm... BS7671 isnt concerned with whats in a pipe...

Last edited by a moderator:
I particularly like this one.....

Examples of types of C2 codes are:

a metallic pipe being used for gases or flammable liquids

and also this

A Code 3 (C3) observation means ‘Improvement Recommended’. This code means that a non-compliance with the current safety standard has been revealed. Whilst this does not present immediate or potential danger, it would result in a significant safety improvement if remedied.

Examples of types of C3 codes are:

absence of an RCD periodic test notice

absence of a ‘Safety Electrical Connection – Do Not Remove’ notice

socket outlet mounted in a position that may result in potential damage to socket/plug/flex

What a bunch of 🐷 W⚓️S

So does this mean I have to recall all of the EICR's I've done recently? 🤔🙄😂

Oh yes!!!!...

Bit like the Covid-exam-marking-fiasco..

In light of this important gem of information that Murdoch has brought to our attention...

we all need to re-do, re-assess & re-evaluate EVERYTHING!!

It's the only way to be fair in case any of us have been too harsh or too lenient in the past...

I am quite astounded and shocked to realise how wrong I have been!!! 

Thank goodness for the inter-web and the truth and wisdom it imparts to us all!

Guinness    

the only time that I could see old cable colours being a FI would be if the inspector was colour blind..... however if you were that colour blind then maybe a different career would suit better???